Wednesday, August 3, 2016

It Was Just a Kiss (Chapter 4)

The day after, Madeline could not wait to tell Homer what happened at the fair. She didn't know what the right time to tell him was but she knew she couldn't wait forever. So after school, Madeline looked for Homer, who always had lacrosse practice, by heading to the gymnasium before he did. She waited until she saw him coming towards her.
He stopped and said, "Hey, baby."
"Hi," Madeline smiled bashfully.
Homer kissed Madeline on the cheek. "What's up?"
"Homer, I need to talk to you."
"Sure. What's wrong, babe?"
"I don't know how to say this."
"Then spit it out."
"I... passed my AP physics test."
"You always pass your tests."
"Yeah, but you know people always say that physics is hard so it's like a 'No, it's not' to the haters. You know what I'm sayin'?"
"I guess. Well, congrats, babe."
"Homer?"
"Yes?"
"That's not what I wanted to talk about."
"Then why did you talk about it?"
"Because I don't know how to say what I have to say to you."
"Then spit it out."
"You know what? I shouldn't be nervous. You're my boyfriend. You're sweet and understanding. Nervous is unlike me. Homer, while we were at the fair, a boy kissed me."
Homer scrunched his eyebrows. "Was that boy me?"
"No! An old friend kissed me. His name is Jerry."
"Jerry? That guy from Cabo that you used to hook up with?"
"No, that's Terry and I hooked up with him once. I mean Jerry from the Masquerade Ball."
"I didn't hear anything about a Masquerade Ball."
"That's why I'm explaining to you who Jerry is."
"Okay, so you met Jerry at the Masquerade Ball?"
"Yeah, two years ago."
"Was he your boyfriend?"
"No, we kissed and then he left me. Two years later, he sees me then kisses me. But I didn't kiss him back."
"Oh, my goodness, Madeline."
"What?"
"You've been with Terry then Gary and Jerry. Why do you have a thing for guys whose names end in '-ary'?"
"First of all, I never had a thing with Gary. Second of all, that's just a coincidence. I don't have a preference. If I did, I wouldn't be with you. Jerry had a chance and he blew it. I went over his house and straightened everything. I said, 'Look, man, I don't want to date you because I got a man'."
"Wait a second. You went over his house?"
"N-No. If you mean did I go inside his house, no, I never went inside his house. I was outside of his house. It's not cheating unless you're on the inside."
"But you know where he lives."
"It was the only way for me to talk to him again. I needed to tell him about you because I care about you. It was killing me inside that I didn't tell you at all. I had to tell you because I realized that you're the one. Homer, you're my first serious boyfriend and there's a reason why. You care about me more than any boy has ever cared about me. I've been thinking about this for a while and I couldn't think of a right time to tell what I was thinking. But I don't care anymore because I love you. That's right, Homer; I love you."
Homer didn't respond. All he did was stare. It was as if he was trying to soak up all the information he heard.
"This is when you're supposed to say that you love me back."
"Madeline, I don't know."
"You do know. You love me back. Bis, bam, boom, we're done. We love each other."
"Madeline, I don't even know if I love you."
"Yes, you do."
"No, Madeline. Don't tell me what to do."
"What's your problem?"
"My problem is you. There was Terry, then Chad, then Jackson, and now, Jerry? I didn't even know who Jerry was and I'm hearing about him now. I know we've been going out for almost three months but it feels like forever. How many boyfriends have you had? And I don't care if they were never 'your boyfriend'; there was some kind of relationship going on. Also, you don't feel comfortable telling me about a kiss that meant nothing yet you have no problem flaunting your ex-boyfriends in my face? Do you know how that makes me feel? Do you know how things like that make me change the way I think about you? I didn't even know you. I never knew you. And honestly, I can't love a girl I don't know."
Madeline was frozen. She was drained. She was numb. She couldn't believe what Homer even said. He didn't feel like he knew her but she obviously knew him. Her eyes began to water but she was not ready to cry. "How can you say that? I tell you that I love you and you say that?"
"Look, I'm sorry, Madeline. But you're not the girl I thought I fell in love with. I don't want a relationship with all these other men involved. You have baggage and I want nothing to do with it. I think we need some time apart."
Madeline's eyebrows ascended. "Are you breaking up with me?"
"Yes. Yes, I am. I can't handle this right now. You may love me but I have a hard time looking at you right now. I don't see you. But I guess my idea of you weren't you after all."
Homer turned around and entered the gymnasium without saying bye or looking back. He honestly was so furious at Madeline. Maybe even more than what she thought. Madeline stared at Homer's back until he disappeared. Then all she was staring at was nothing. Nothing was all she could feel at that moment. As she stood there with a tear rolling down her cheek, she realized that that was the last time she was ever going to see Homer.

No comments:

Post a Comment