Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Girls Like Enemies (Chapter 2)

"Just taste it," DeMarcus, Lizzie's boyfriend, commanded.
"No," Lizzie responded.
"Come on, it's good."
"I don't want to taste it."
"So you're just gonna sit here and not eat?"
"It's fine."
"Babe, it's good. I'm not lying."
"Are you sure?"
"Positive. One bite and I'll leave you alone."
"You're pushy."
"It's only because I don't want you to starve. You think I want to sit here and watch you die?"
"I'm not dying."
"You're dying if you're not eating."
"Well, if that's the case, give me a bite."
"Alright." DeMarcus picked up a lump of the ground beef on his lunch tray with his spork and started feeding it to Lizzie.
"Mmm!" she hummed, licking her lips. "That is good!"
"I told you."
"It's like hamburger soup."
"It kinda is hamburger soup."
"Well, you weren't lying."
"I told you. Okay, that's all I wanted."
"Wait! I want some more."
"You want some more?"
"Yeah."
"Then let me give you some more, girl." DeMarcus scooped up the beef again and fed it to his girlfriend.
"I'm dying," said Skye flatly.
"I can't believe you guys are grubbing on mock Hamburger Helper," said Madeline.
"But it's so good," Lizzie commented, muffled.
"You guys should pack a fresh lunch like I always do." She waved her hands at the packed lunch she took out of her bag.
"How do you know it's fresh?" asked Andrea. "How do you know your mom is not buying that stuff just to kill you?"
"She goes to the best grocery stores in town."
"The best or the 'meh, good' ones?"
"They're the best. Trust me."
"So can you guys help me with something?"
"Sure, Andy," responded Debra. "What's the situation?"
"You know how I... like Randall, right?"
"Of course," replied Skye. "Your knight in shining armor."
"Please, he would not be able to fit in that armor."
"Are you asking us to help you get him?" asked Madeline.
"I guess so."
"Yay!" Lizzie cheered, clapping. "Makeover!"
"Oh, no. The last time you gave someone a makeover, Debra had two boyfriends."
"You did, too," reminded Madeline, "so how would she make it worse?"
"You got me there. Look, every since I realized that I liked Randall, I just couldn't be myself around him. On a normal day, we're bickering and insulting each other. Now, I can't seem to make up a comeback for him. It's getting pathetic. He's gonna know I like him one day and when he does, he's gonna stop dealing with me."
"So you need him to like you before he knows you like him?" questioned Debra.
"Exactly."
"I feel like that's easy," said Skye. "Randall is all smart and everything, correct?"
"Yeah, he's pretty smart."
"No smarter than me," shared Madeline.
"Cool it, Palin," said Skye. "So for you to win him over, just be smart."
"I am smart," Andrea defended.
"I mean smarter than how you already are."
"Whoa, how do I do that?"
"I don't know. Study more? Pay more attention in class? Read a book?"
"Okay, I get it."
"Watch the Science Channel?"
"I said I get it, Skye. I'll do anything to win Randall's heart. Anything to be like DeMarcus and Lizzie."
"You wanna feed each other gross school Hamburger Helper?"
"It's good!" said Lizzie.
"So good," DeMarcus added.
"I'm sure it is," Skye said, laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment