Sunday, July 17, 2016

Smile for the Mugshot (Chapter 3)

"Why are we stopping here?" asked Debra, noticing the unintended setting through the window.
"I have to use the bathroom real quick," responded Kyle, pulling the lever on the gear shift to "Park".
"Why didn't you use the bathroom at the movies?"
Kyle unbuckled his seat belt. "I didn't have to go at the time. This will take five minutes. I swear to you."
"You know what, buddy?" inquired Donald, taking off his seat belt. "Let me go to the bathroom with you."
"Great, now you'll take forever," Debra said.
"Please be patient, Debra," demanded Kyle. "Remember what you said: patience is--"
"Is the bitter old man's cup of coffee."
"Correct." Kyle opened the door and hopped out before closing the door.
Donald did the same thing. "Don't miss me too much, babe," he told Lizzie.
"Don't worry," Lizzie politely smiled. "I won't."
Donald closed the door before walking with Kyle and going inside the convenience store in front of the car.
"Did you like the movie, Liz'?" asked Debra.
"Yeah," Lizzie answered, "but it was a little bit ruined when Donald started rubbing my thigh, trying to reach my private place."
Debra looked behind her seat to look at her friend. "Oh, that stinks, Liz'."
"Aw, that's fine. It was Donald's hand, not yours."
"I still feel bad. I convinced you to go on this date, knowing how much of a dog Donald was. It's my fault you're having a bad time."
"Oh, it's okay, Debbie. I'm not having a bad time; I'm having a good time. I just don't know about that Donald. He's... full of sketch."
"Yeah, Donald is such a bad influence on my life. But Kyle loves him so I guess I'm going to have to deal with him."
"Sorry, Debs'."
"It's fine. You need patience to be friends with a guy like Donald and that's why me and Kyle fit the equation perfectly."
"Ah, I don't get math but I understood that."
"I'm glad you're having a good time."
"I always have a good time when I'm with you, Debra."
Debra grinned while reaching out her arm. Lizzie interlocked fingers with her, smiling back at her friend. Soon, they were interrupted by a rapping on the window. Debra looked at the window on her side and saw a woman in a police uniform standing by. Debra rolled down the window, letting the cop lean against it and take a better look at the bohemian-dressed girl.
"Hello," the cop greeted. Her voice seemed really sweet.
"Hello, officer," responded Debra.
"Hi, officer!" said Lizzie, stretching into the space between the front seats.
The policewoman pulled out a flashlight and shined it at the girls' faces. "How old are you girls?"
"We're both eighteen, ma'am," answered Debra.
"Young adults," nodded Lizzie.
"Okay, you're both eighteen," the cop took in. "May I ask what the two of you are doing in this car by yourselves?"
"Oh, we just came back from a movie," Debra replied. "And our dates are inside the convenience store, using the bathroom."
"They're eighteen, too," added Lizzie.
"Oh, what movie did you see?" asked the cop.
"Me Before You," answered Debra.
"Oh. Seen it, hated it."
"How dare you?" questioned Lizzie. "I loved that movie."
"I don't really like movies that much but I watch a lot of them in hopes of having a favorite one day. But it has never happened."
"You don't have one favorite?" inquired Debra.
"Well, I like Whiplash but I don't want to watch that forever, you know what I'm saying?"
Debra laughed. "No, I get it."
"Thanks. So who are your dates?"
"Uh, Kyle Liu and Donald Fletcher."
"They're eighteen, too," said Lizzie.
"You said that already."
"Oops."
"May I see some I.D., just in case, from you?" requested the cop.
The girls went through their bags and found their pieces of identification.
"Here!" Lizzie showed hers. "This is my driver's license but this is Kyle's car."
"This is my regular I.D.," Debra showed hers.
"Okay, just checking," said the cop, flashing her light at the I.D.'s. "Well, since you really aren't minors, that means your dates are probably the same way so I guess-- Wait, what's in that backseat?"
Lizzie looked behind herself to view the seat. She saw a Ziplock bag of what seemed to be capsules sinking into the crack of the right seat. She picked it up and showed it to the cop.
"This?" Lizzie asked, holding it up.
Debra gasped when she captured the sight of that bag.
"Yeah, that," said the officer. She grabbed the bag out of Lizzie's hand and examined it, using her flashlight. "Are these drugs?"
"Drugs?" repeated Lizzie. "I thought they were candy."
"Did you eat any of them?" asked Debra worriedly.
"No, I thought they were weird candy."
"Can you two please step outside?" asked the officer.
"Ma'am, may I ask what's in that bag?" queried Debra, trying to be calm.
"You don't know? It's a sick combination of three different types of drugs like molly and ecstasy."
"Molly is a name of a drug?" questioned Lizzie. "Oh, Molly Hampton from science is not going to like this."
"Will you two please step out of the car?" the officer requested again.
"Ma'am, those are not our drugs," admitted Debra. "We promise."
"Yeah, right. I bet you and your friend are high right now, seeing how calm you are and how happy she is."
"I'm happy because I had a big breakfast today," confessed Lizzie.
Kyle and Donald came out of the store just in time. They walked up to the policewoman who felt their presence and turned around.
"Officer, what seems to be the problem?" asked Kyle.
"What's your name?" the officer asked back.
"Kyle. Kyle Liu."
The officer held up the plastic bag of drugs. "Well, Kyle, I found this bag of narcotics in your car on the seat where I believe your boy, Donald, was sitting."
"You told on me?" Kyle asked Debra.
"Why are you looking at me like that?" questioned Debra. "I'm in trouble, too."
"That's correct," said the cop, "so get out of the car like I asked."
"Debra, I'm not having a good time," confessed Lizzie.

No comments:

Post a Comment