Thursday, July 14, 2016

Smile for the Mugshot (Chapter 1)

"I'm going to do a little bit, okay?" said Kyle.
"Okay," Debra nodded.
"I don't want to overwhelm you."
"I don't think you will but I'm ready."
"Okay. Annyeonghaseyo..."
"Annyeonghaseyo..."
"... jeoneun dangsin-ui..."
"... jeoneun dangsin-ui..."
"... jandileul kkagneun yeogiewassda."
"... jandileul kkagneun yeogiewassda."
"Good job."
"What did you make me say?"
"'Hello, I came here to mow your lawn.'"
Debra playfully pushed Kyle on his shoulder. "That's simple?" she laughed.
"It's simple to me."
"Okay, how do you say, 'Waiter, there's too much pepper on my poppycosh'?"
Kyle laughed. "Are you serious?"
"Come on! How do you say it?"
"Weiteo..."
"Weiteo..."
"... nae poppycosh..."
Debra giggled. "... nae poppycosh..."
"... e neomu manh-eun..."
"... e neomu manh-eun..."
"... gochu gaissda."
"... gochu gaissda."
"You sound so cute when you speak Korean."
"Thanks. Or should I say, 'Gamsa'?"
Kyle chuckled.
"So... is our date still on for Friday night?"
"Yeah, about that..."
"I knew it. I sensed something would be wrong."
"Nothing's wrong. It's just that my buddy, Donald, had nothing to do on Friday and I kinda blew him off to be on a date with you. So I asked him to come along with us. I know; I did something stupid."
"No, it's okay. I love Donald. Well, I like him. I mean I don't hate him. I totally get it so he can come with us. The more, the merrier."
"Yeah, speaking of which, I kinda promised him that you would bring a friend so he wouldn't feel like a third wheel. Is that stupid?"
"Uh, no. Not at all. Actually, I have one single friend so maybe I can convince her to come with us tomorrow."
"Yes! I knew you would understand. You're so awesome."
"That's why you're dating me."
"And hey, maybe a girlfriend will straighten Donald up. Don't you think?"
"Yeah, definitely. A relationship can change a person, if not both. I know when we started dating, you stopped eating cheese fish."
"It was the only way for you to kiss me."
"And also a smart decision." Debra looked ahead of herself and found her girlfriends standing by her locker. "Oh, there goes my friends, especially Andrea. I should leave you for now so I go up and tell her about the date."
"Wait, Andrea's your 'single friend'?"
"Yeah, what's wrong with that?"
"Doesn't she... hurt people?"
"Kyle, you love Andrea."
"Yeah, but not for Donald."
"Don't be rude. Rudeness is--"
"--Is the old man's endless rocking chair."
"I'm so glad you listen."
"Alright, you go to your friends. I guess Andrea is better than no one, right?"
"Exactly."
"And since I stopped eating cafeteria cheese fish, can I have a kiss?"
"You most certainly can."
Kyle held Debra by the waist as they slowly brushed their lips against each other. After a loving look into each other's eyes, the couple parted ways.
"See ya," Debra smiled before sprinting towards her friends. "Hey, guys," she greeted them.
"Hey, Kyle Kisser," Madeline responded.
Debra snickered while twisting the combination knob on her locker.
"Don't act shy," said Andrea. "We saw you giving your man some sugar."
"There's not a day where I can't," said Debra.
"Ooh, Debbie's got spring fever," remarked Lizzie.
"Or delirium," added Skye.
Debra pushed Skye lightly, making Skye hit her back with a smile.
"So, Andrea, what are you doing Friday night?" Debra asked, opening her locker.
"What we always do on Fridays," replied Andrea, "watch bad movies."
"I thought you were ditching us on Friday to be with Kyle," Madeline remembered.
"Yeah, but Kyle decided to bring a friend to our date to the movies," said Debra. "And since Andrea's single, I wondered if she wanted to come."
"Oh, sure," said Andrea. "I'll gladly come."
Madeline scoffed. "You're gonna ditch Bad Movie Friday to watch a possibly good movie?"
"Don't start, Maddie. It's my choice. If you can't accept that, you will be eating your shirt."
"Harsh."
"Now, Andrea," started Debra, "I know the way you talk is part of your personality but please don't speak that way when you're around Donald."
"Donald?" inquired Andrea. "Donald Fletcher?"
"You know him?"
"Si. He's in my history class, always sleeping and playing with his lighter. Everything that comes out of his mouth is a practical joke and sometimes pills. I also see him walking around with Kyle so I know it's not a different Donald. Dios mio, you booked me a date with Donald 'Dope' Fletcher?"
"Y-Yeah but once you get to know him, he probably won't seem like a bad guy."
"Debra, he is a bad guy and I am not going out with bad guys."
"Come on. It's only for one night."
"Yeah, right. I bet after that date, he's going to fall in love with my bootyliciousness. I am not going on that date, Debra. No way, no how."
"But I promised Kyle you'd be there. What am I supposed to tell him?"
"Debra, it's a straight no. Let me give it to you in Spanish: no!"
Andrea walked away to avoid any persuasion yet to come.
"Come on, Andy!" shouted Debra.
"No to the no to the no," Andrea shouted back, still walking.
Debra relaxed her shoulders. Then she panned to Skye. "Skye, will you--"
"No," Skye quickly answered.
"Why not?"
"I have a boyfriend."
"You don't even like him."
"That's not true. Even if it was, he's mine, ain't he?"
Skye walked away as well with the same intentions as Andrea.
Debra sighed. "Madeline--"
Madeline walked away, too, without even responding to Debra.
It was down to Lizzie, who just stood there after watching three of her friends leave. Her and Debra were eye-to-eye in a puddle of silence.
"If I say your name, will you leave?" asked Debra.
"I don't know," answered Lizzie.
"Then I won't say it then. Do you want to go on a double date with me, Kyle and Donald?"
"Gee, Debs', I appreciate the offer but I don't think DeMarcus will like it if I go on a date with another guy."
"But the date will totally be platonic. You don't have to do anything with Donald that you don't want to do. All you have to do is get to know him and befriend him."
"Alright but I think DeMarcus should have the right to know if I'm going to date Donald the Dope or whatever Andrea said."
"So is that a yes?"
"Yes."
"Oh, thank you!" Debra picked Lizzie up quickly in a hug. "We're gonna have a 'splend-dipity' time. We're gonna see 'Me Before You'."
"Oh, is that the movie where a woman falls in love with a man in a wheelchair and in the end, they roll away into the sunset?"
"I don't know how the movie ends, Lizzie. That's why we're seeing it."
"Oh, of course. But if it does end that way, it'll be so romantic. It'll prove to all that love can be legless."
"Don't say words like 'legless', Lizzie."

No comments:

Post a Comment