Sunday, July 24, 2016

Rumor Has It (Chapter 1)

    It was a regular, sunny day at Laguna Beach High School. Students were scrambling up and down the halls to transition into their next classes. The morning was slowly approaching the afternoon and Madeline was chatting with a friend. Not one of her girlfriends, a boy friend. It was Jackson Lowe, her former crush since sophomore year. Even though the two once had feelings for each other, they still remained good friends. Madeline saw through Jackson's pleasant body odor and ravishing good looks as she was enamored with her longest-term boyfriend, Homer Anderson. Nevertheless, Madeline walked with Jackson through the hallway of the second floor, shooting the breeze.
    "Are you sure I can't use baby's breath?" asked Jackson.
    "Positively, absolutely, you cannot," answered Madeline.
    "I'm confused why I can't use baby's breath."
    "It's a bad flower."
    "Says who?"
    "Carrie Bradshaw."
    Jackson chuckled. "That's bogus. But you're right: peonies are good flowers. Peonies are pretty flowers."
    "It's true. I've been called a peony before and let me tell you: it was not an insult."
    "Do you think Priya would like them?"
    "Of course. It's romantic. It's a romantic gesture. You're giving someone flowers that are just as pretty as they are. Girls love flowers... except for baby's breath."
    "Ha, you might be right. I just want her to say yes to the date."
    "Jackson, she will say yes. I mean, look at you. You are such a catch. Look at your luscious hair, your mesmerizing eyes, your adorable smile-- Hold on, I'm getting breathless."
    Jackson laughed, which made Madeline laugh, too. "Thanks, Madeline. You've been so cool about helping me find the courage to ask Priya out."
    "Of course, of course. I love helping people ask people on a date. Dating is so much fun. I love dating! I used to date different guys, like, all the time. Sorry, I hope that didn't make me sound like a whore."
    "Oh, it's fine. You're not a whore."
    "Thank you! You know what? I think 'not a whore' is the best compliment to give somebody."
    Jackson laughed again. "Thanks for everything. You know, you are, like, the only friend I have whose a girl whom I like in a platonic way."
    "Aw! I like you in a platonic way, too."
    The two stopped so they could hug each other. While they were hugging with their eyes closed, a flash went off. The two let go of each other, smiling at one another, never even noticing the burst of light.
    "See you, Madeline," said Jackson before walking away.
    "Bye, Jackson," Madeline waved. "Remember: peonies for Priya. Baby's breath, see ya!"

No comments:

Post a Comment