Sunday, July 17, 2016

Smile for the Mugshot (Chapter 2)

Around eight on a Friday night, Debra and Lizzie individually got ready for their date. It wasn't too long for Kyle to pick the girls up with his black Honda Civic. His best friend, Donald Fletcher, was already in the car when Kyle picked up the girls. He sat in the back seat so Debra could sit in the passenger seat to be close with her boyfriend. Lizzie caught a glimpse of the weird smelling, grungy looking punk. He was like a replica of Kyle, only dirtier. Lizzie still tried to be polite, even though Donald couldn't keep his eyes off of her.
Kyle drove on a dark street. The only light he had was the light coming from his headlights and a few passing streetlamps. Kyle and Debra listened to the indie music playing from the radio while Lizzie tried to get to know the punky Donald.
"So how is school for you?" she asked.
"Ah, boring," Donald answered. "I wish it was more exciting. Like, why can't schools just be skate parks?"
"Well, for starters, instead of driving to school, I'd be skating to school." Lizzie giggled her sweet, bubbly giggle. "And I don't think I can skate in heels."
"You do look very good in heels." Donald shifted his eyesight towards Lizzie's long legs.
She stepped on the back of Kyle's seat to show off her shoe. "Thank you. I feel like I was born in them. But that's impossible. If it were possible, that would've really hurt my mom's private place."
"I'd like to see your private place."
"What?"
"Nothing. You got a boyfriend?"
"Oh, yes. Yes, I do. His name is DeMarcus. He's the quarterback of the football team."
"So you like black guys?"
"How did you know he was black? Have you seen him before?"
"Sure. Are you satisfied in your relationship?"
"Donald, watch your mouth," warned Kyle.
"No, it's okay, Kyle," said Lizzie. "We're trying to get to know each other. Uh, yes, I'm satisfied. DeMarcus is the sweetest boyfriend I ever had. He compliments me, he buys me gifts, he gives me kisses. He's like a life-size teddy bear. Or better because life-size teddies freak me out."
"So DeMarcus is a little sauce on the side?" questioned Donald.
"If by 'sauce', you mean 'chocolate sauce', then yeah. Oops, is 'chocolate' racist?"
"Not unless you want it to be."
"Oh, no, I don't want it to be. People have said that I can be a little 'insensitive' to races outside of me. So I try to be as sensitive as I can be. I love DeMarcus so I wouldn't want to do anything to offend him."
"Uh, you don't love him enough if you're going on a date with me."
"Oh, that's not true. I told him that I was going on this date and he was very upset. But he seemed to get over it after I told him that I was doing Debra a favor."
"Shh, shh, shh," uttered Debra.
"Well, since you're on this date and DeMarcus is not around," started Donald, "what are you going to do with me?"
"Uh, let's see," said Lizzie, looking into the air. "Well, once we get to the movie, we can share a tub of popcorn. You know, to save money. And I'm gonna let you use both of your armrests. I don't really like resting my arms on the armrests. I like to squeeze my hands together with my legs. It's just something I do. Sometimes, my hands fall asleep so I like to shake my wrists around to make it look like I have jelly hands. And after the movie, I assume Kyle is to going to drive each of us home. He can drop you off first because I know he's your friend and all that and I don't mind going home last. My parents are kind of cocoa for Cocoa Puffs. Not really, they hardly eat Cocoa Puffs. They're more Special K people. I meant that they're a bit nuts so it kinda feels good to be away from them... like really far."
"O-Okay. So you'd share your tub of popcorn with me?"
"Of course! I'm not going to eat the whole thing. But I just love popcorn so I don't know why I wouldn't eat the whole thing."
"You love popcorn."
"Yes."
"So if my fingers get all buttery from the popcorn, would you suck on them?"
Lizzie laughed. "They're your fingers, pal. I think you should be the one to suck on them."
"So you're not... a dirty girl?"
"Hardly. I like to keep my room clean; I organize all my school supplies; I won't eat off a plate unless it's been washed that day. I'm sorry, I hope it doesn't sound like I have O.P.P."
"I think you mean O.C.D. But I'm down with O.P.P."
"Cool. What does O.P.P. mean?"
"Don't answer that, Donald," commanded Kyle.
"Relax, Kyle-man," said Donald. He then looked and smiled at Lizzie. "I love how he tries so hard to be my wingman."
"Wingman?" repeated Lizzie. "Kyle, do you birdwatch?"
Kyle scrunched his forehead. "No. 'Wingman' means a guy who helps his friend get a girl."
"Get a girl?" Lizzie then looked at Donald. "What girl are you trying to get?"
"Isn't it obvious?" asked Donald.
"Donald, I'm afraid that you can't have Debra. She's dating Kyle; you know that."
"Doll, Donald is talking about you," Debra cleared up.
"Oh. Oh! Donald, I can't date you either. I told you, I have a boyfriend."
"But your boyfriend's not here," noticed Donald. "He doesn't have to know what we'll do."
"What will we do? Because I'm only sharing a tub of popcorn and an armrest with you."
"But, baby, don't you find me attractive?"
Lizzie took a better look at Donald. She noticed his messy blond and brown hair, his stained white T-shirt under his tattered leather jacket, and his dirty pair of black Converse sneakers. The only thing she liked about him was his small brown eyes and smile that only went halfway. But she loved DeMarcus and nothing could ever change that.
"You're okay," she responded. "But when you're in love with somebody, all you see is them. And everything they do is cuter than anybody else doing the same thing. You're gonna find a girl one day who will love all of you but I'm not that girl."
"Okay," Donald said, looking down. After a while, he looked back up. "So I can't slip my tongue in your mouth?"
"No!"
"Donald, I don't want to be rude but can you stop asking such inappropriate questions?" Debra calmly requested.
Donald leaned forward into the space between the front seats. "Hey, nobody's bothering you, sweetheart."
"Hey, hey, hey," said Kyle, letting one hand go of the wheel. "Everybody just settle down."
"Your friend started it," noted Debra.
"But settle down. Okay, let's just have a nice car ride to the movies."
Donald sat back into his seat.
"Do you think the movie is going to be sad?" asked Lizzie.
"I don't know," answered Donald. "But if you don't want the movie to make you sad, you can always divert your eyes and make out with me during it."
"Donald, I swear," started Kyle.
"What? She's the one who asked!"

No comments:

Post a Comment