Saturday, September 17, 2016

The Skye is Falling (Part 2) (Chapter 1)

    "You broke up with Jeffrey?" asked Madeline.
    "Uh-huh," Skye responded, eating the beef stew on her lunch tray with a plastic fork.
    "For Dom?" asked Andrea.
    "That's right."
    "And you're okay with that?" asked Debra.
    "Yes, ma'am."
    "But that's not okay," said Lizzie.
    "Can you all stop doggin' me?" Skye dropped her fork on her tray. "It was my decision and I am happy with it. I suggest you do the same. Thank you." She picked her fork back up.
    "But you've been with Jeffrey for a year," Madeline reminded. "Breakups after six months aren't easy."
    "It wasn't that easy to tell him. Trust me."
    "The way you described it made it sound easy," mentioned Andrea. "You just told him straight up then walked away."
    "Well, what did you expect me to do? Just linger awkwardly?"
    "Sometimes, it's best to spend as much time with someone as you can," said Lizzie.
    "What?"
    "Skye, are you sure it was the right decision?" questioned Debra. "I mean, I know you didn't quite love Jeffrey but it's not like you didn't love him on purpose."
    "I know but I wanted him to be with someone who does love him. I didn't want him to die waiting for me to tell him that I loved him back. That could've took forever. So I thought it was best to let him go."
    "I understand wanting to let him go," said Andrea. "But you're dating Dom. Are you sure that's not  why you broke up with Jeffrey?"
    "Okay, maybe I wasn't going to break up with Jeff if I didn't make out with Dom the night before. But to be honest, I was thinking about breaking up with him anyway."
    "Wait a second, wait a second," said Madeline, holding her index finger up. "Hold the phone."
    "What phone should we hold?" asked Lizzie.
    "You didn't say anything about making out with Dom before you broke up with Jeffrey."
    "Oh, yeah," said Skye, "I guess I forgot."
    Madeline scrunched her forehead. "How could you forget? Basically, you cheated on Jeffrey then dumped him for Dom."
    "What does that make me? A cheater?"
    "Yeah," Lizzie replied.
    "I wasn't talking to you, Lizzie. Don't forget, Andrea cheated on her boyfriend, too."
    "Oh, stop," said Andrea. "That was a hundred-forty years ago, okay?"
    "I thought it was five months ago," said Lizzie.
    "I wasn't talking to you, Lizzie."
    "We're not accusing of you of being a bad person, Skye," said Madeline. "We're just making sure that you acknowledge that you did a bad person thing."
    "I get what I did was wrong," Skye said. "But how I look at it, it was for the right reasons."
    "What right reasons?" asked Andrea.
    "I freed Jeffrey so he can be with whoever he deserves. And now I'm dating someone who is exactly like me. So I don't have to worry about anything."
    "Like Jeffrey killing you in your sleep?"
    Skye frowned. "Funny."
    "That's not funny," said Lizzie. "That's serious. What if Jeffrey is driven by love madness?"
    "There's no such thing as love madness. I'm not going to lie: Jeffrey did seem hurt when I broke up with him. That hurt me a bit because I just want him to be happy. But he's going to be fine. I know that because I know him. He will heal and I believe that. Besides, he should be happy that I'm with Dom because he makes me happy. In the end, it's all about making decisions for yourself and I made my decision not just for me but for Jeffrey. Now will you excuse me? I need to buy some Honey Buns; I am craving badly for them." Skye got up and walked away from the table, making way to the far vending machines in the cafeteria.
    "Has anyone seen anything different about Skye?" asked Madeline.
    "I do," Lizzie answered. "She's so rude."
    "She's always been rude, Lizzie. There's something else about her."
    Debra gasped. "Her streak is gone."
    "Her what?"
    "The pink streak in her hair. She washed it out."
    Andrea gasped, too. "Su racha se ha ido. Es que no hay más."
    "Oh, my potato skins," said Madeline. "I can't believe she took her streak out."
    "Potato skins?" repeated Debra.
    "And Skye's outfit is all black," Lizzie mentioned.
    "Dios mio, I noticed that," said Andrea.
    Madeline gasped. "You don't think she's changing her wardrobe?"
    "Why would she change it in the first place?" asked Lizzie.
    "Because of Dom. Dom dresses almost goth-like so Skye is dressing like him."
    "But that doesn't explain the missing pink streak," said Debra.
    "Maybe Dom likes girls who wear their hair naturally."
    "That's dumb," Andrea commented. "Why would Dom make out with Skye if he didn't like all of Skye?"
    "I don't know. But this is sick, alright? This is a sick situation. Skye can't be changing, not for some guy. We need more proof."
    "Are we going to become sleuths?" Lizzie questioned. "I've always wanted to be a sleuth. Just strut around with a big magnifying glass. And I still have my pipe which blows bubbles. I've been dying to blow bubbles while solving a crime."
    Madeline stared at her best friend. "I wasn't talking to you, Lizzie."

No comments:

Post a Comment