Sunday, September 25, 2016

Not Meant to Sit on Babies (Chapter 2)

    As the evening approached, Lizzie's parents prepared themselves for dinner. Lizzie's mother put on a flowy, black dress that went down to her ankles with black booties and golden earrings. Lizzie's father put on a black suit with a blue shirt and tie underneath with black dress shoes. After her mother got her black crossbody purse, Lizzie followed her parents as they made their way towards the door.
    "All of Dallas' things are in his room," reminded Lizzie's mother, "so make sure you check the closet."
    "Okay," said Lizzie.
    "But his diapers are in the bathroom so make sure you check there, too."
    "Okay, mom."
    "And make sure he's in his crib asleep by eight because after eight, he's a disaster."
    "I'll make sure, mom."
    "But make sure he eats dinner. Only feed him the baby food and milk in the fridge. You know his teeth are still coming out."
    "Okay, mom. I think it's time for you to go to dinner now."
    "Oh, we're just a little worried, that's all," said Lizzie's father.
    "There's nothing to be worried about, dad."
    "Are you sure because you got caught in a fan once."
    "I eventually got out. Okay, you and mom need to go. Like, right now. I'm going to take good care of your child."
    "Huh, that's what someone says when they're about to kill them."
    "Okay, out. You two, out." Lizzie opened the door for her parents.
    "Alright," said Lizzie's mother. "Just don't forget to kiss him good night."
    "I won't. Goodbye, mom and dad."
    "Goodbye. We'll be back by nine."
    "Bye, Lizzie," said her dad.
    Once her parents stepped out the door, Lizzie closed it and locked it. She turned around and started dancing like a fool. She ran upstairs and went inside Dallas' room, who was up and smiling in his crib.
    "Hello, my beautiful bug," said Lizzie, leaning over the bed. "Mom and dad are out of the house which means we're going to have so much fun. Are you ready to have fun with me?" She bent down and looked at Dallas through the wooden bars of the crib.
    Dallas babbled with a smile and hit the bars as if he was trying to get her face.
    "Sounds good enough to me!"
    For a while, Lizzie watched Dallas, trying to play and communicate with him. She would take many pictures with him with her cell phone. Other times, she would hug and kiss him like a precious teddy bear. She enjoyed making Dallas laugh and stay interested in her.
    Eventually, she started to get a little bored. So she decided to make a call with one of her girlfriends. She picked Debra and started dialing her number. Lizzie took off her tan sweater while listening to the phone ring. Soon, Debra picked up.
    "Hello," her calm voice projected from the phone.
    "Hey, girlfriend," Lizzie said to her phone.
    "Hey. How are you?"
    "I'm good. I'm having an awesome time with my brother, Dallas."
    "That's wonderful."
    "And guess what: my parents are letting me babysit him."
    "Oh, are they sick?"
    "No, they're not sick. They wanted to go to a romantic dinner together so I told them that I'd be more than glad to watch Dallas for them."
    "Oh, that's nice."
    "Well, I'm a nice person. The fact that I'm watching Dallas means that I'm growing up. I can't wait to do more grown-up things like vote. I am so excited."
    "That's good for you, Liz'. Um, are you sure that you can handle watching Dallas all by yourself?"
    "Uh, yeah. That's why I asked to do so."
    "Yeah, I don't know. Do you want me to come over?"
    "Ooh, so we can hang out?"
    Debra paused. "Yeah."
    "Oh, perfect! Now Dallas will have two girls to play with. The more, the merrier!"
    "Sure, Lizzie. I'll see you in twenty minutes, okay?"
    "Okay. Byesies."
    "Byesies."
    Lizzie hung up and looked at Dallas, who was chewing on the red rubber toy he was holding.
    "Dallas, hammers are not food," she said.

    More than twenty minutes later, Debra arrived to Lizzie's house. She rang the doorbell so Lizzie could come down and answer the door. She took Dallas with her before opening the door to Debra and her younger brother, Leroy.
    "Hey, Debs," Lizzie smiled. "Hey, Leroy."
    "What's up, honeycakes?" Leroy greeted her before walking in.
    "Ooh, I'm honeycakes now." Lizzie closed the door after Debra came into the house. "What is Leroy doing here?"
    "Oh, when my dad heard I was going out, he wanted me to take Leroy with me," answered Debra.
    "We rode here on a tandem bike," noted Leroy.
    "I've always wanted to use that bike."
    "It was tiring."
    "It was saving the environment."
    "Well, I guess it's good that Leroy is here," said Lizzie. "The more people to play with Dallas, the better!"
    "Hey, I don't play with no babies," said Leroy. "I'm a grown man."
    "You won't be a man in, like, seven years," reminded Debra.
    "A boy can start! So, honeycakes, got any food?"
    "Use your manners and Lizzie has a name."
    "Fine! Lizzie, can I please have some food?"
    "Sure," replied Lizzie, "the kitchen is through the door by the stairs. And don't eat the baby food in the fridge or the milk."
    "Uh, that won't be a problem." Leroy made his way to the kitchen.
    "Thanks, Debra, but I don't mind being called 'honeycakes'. It's such a fun name!"

No comments:

Post a Comment