Sunday, September 25, 2016

Not Meant to Sit on Babies (Chapter 1)

    On a Saturday night, the girls were over at their own homes. They found ways to chill by themselves, such as Lizzie spending time with her baby brother, Dallas. She hung out in his room, in her peasant-like clothing, leaning over the crib, talking to him. Dallas was almost a year old and knew how to take a few steps but did not know how to speak. He had big, brown eyes just like his sister and was growing out dark brown hair.
    Lizzie tickled Dallas's body, which was covered in a baby blue onesie, with her decoratively-manicured finger. Dallas giggled, bearing his toothless mouth. Lizzie babbled baby talk at him, which he didn't quite understand yet Lizzie thought he did.
    "You're such a cutie pie! Who's a cutie pie? You're a cutie pie! I could just eat you up... but that would be cannibalism. Can you say 'cannibalism'? Cannibalism! Oh, you're so cute. Yes, you are!"
    Lizzie's four-eyed parents walked in and witnessed their daughter communicating with their young son.
    "You are in love with him, Lizzie," said her mother.
    "I don't think I'll ever stop being in love with him," admitted Lizzie, not taking her eyes off of her brother. "He's just so adorable."
    "You know, one day, he's gonna grow up."
    "Oh, I know. I dread that day."
    "Who knows when that day will come?" asked Lizzie's dad. "He hasn't even said a word yet."
    "I know, right? That's why I always have conversations with him so he'll feel encouraged to talk back."
    "I don't think he knows what you've been saying, Lizzie."
    "Drats. At least I know what I've been saying."
    Lizzie's mother walked over to the crib, prompting Lizzie to move aside, and picked up the giggling baby. "Hello!" she said to him in a sweet voice. "Is your diaper messy?"
    "No, mom, I don't wear diapers anymore."
    "I wasn't talking to you," Lizzie's mother said in her normal voice. She went back to Dallas. "What will I feed you tonight?"
    "Well, I was kinda hoping that we go to dinner but by ourselves," said Lizzie's father.
    "I wasn't talking to you either."
    "No, I'm serious. There's this new restaurant a few blocks away and I was wondering if we could have dinner, just the two of us."
    "Oh, I don't know, Joseph. Ever since Dallas has been born, I was always by his side."
    "Come on, Marie. We haven't had any alone time in a while. Don't you think we should celebrate being such lovely parents?"
    "I suppose so. But how are we going to find a babysitter at a time like this?"
    "I can go on that website full of babysitters."
    "Or I could watch Dallas," suggested Lizzie.
    "No, I think the website would be fine."
    "Come on, mom and dad. I could totally watch Dallas while you two are gone."
    "Lizzie, dear Lizzie," started her mom. "How can I say this nicely? I... don't really trust... you to be alone... with the baby."
    "Saying that sentence slowly was being nice?"
    "Listen, sweetie, I know you're kinda an adult but I don't think you're responsible enough to take care of Dallas."
    "How can you say that? I spent many times alone with Dallas."
    "Yeah, but that happens when your dad and I are home." Lizzie's mother set Dallas gently back in his crib.
    "But sometimes, you're downstairs and me and Dallas would be upstairs. Do you know how far away this room is from the kitchen and living room?"
    "You're not convincing me, Lizzie."
    "Please, mom! I'll read those books on how to take care of a baby. And besides, I have watched a bunch of television that shows how to do it as well. I basically know how to change a diaper and put a baby to sleep without doing any of that."
    "What kind of T.V. shows have you been watching?"
    "Mom! Dad, don't you think I can take care of Dallas?"
    "Gee, I don't know, sweetie," said Lizzie's dad. "You're kind of forgetful."
    "Yeah, and you always can't find your car keys," agreed Lizzie's mom.
    "Mom, dad, that was the old me," said Lizzie. "That's the problem: you dwell on the past and can't let it go. But you guys got to trust me; I am so much more mature than I was like... five days ago. And besides, do you really think I would let anything happen to my baby brother?"
    "I don't believe so."
    "Then please give me a chance. Please! Pretty please."
    Lizzie's mother looked at her husband for reconciliation. He shrugged and she nodded.
    "Alright, we're gonna let you babysit Dallas tonight," decided Lizzie's mom.
    "Yay!" cheered Lizzie.
    "But if anything happens, this will be the last time you babysit Dallas. You understand me?"
    "Yes, I understand you. Loud and cuh-lear. Thank you!"
    "Alright," said Lizzie's father. "We've got ourselves a date." He wrapped his arm around his wife's shoulders and led her out the door.
    Lizzie squealed and smiled at Dallas over the crib. "Did you hear that, Dallas?" she asked. "I'm going to be babysitting you tonight! I am so excited. We're gonna have so much fun together. Oh, I have to find those baby books that mom owns. But before I do that, I got to go figure out where my car keys are."

No comments:

Post a Comment