Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Skye is Falling (Part 1) (Chapter 3)

    A couple days later, Skye continued to try to write the required essay with her partner, Dom, for English. However, he never contributed to the writing. Every time they were together, he just slacked off. But this day, Skye had had it. She wasn't going to be walked all over; she was going to take this assignment seriously. Dom drove Skye to her apartment so they could work on the essay in her living room. Her mother wasn't home so the two sat in the room in silence as Skye got out her laptop and began typing on a Word document. Dom got off the couch and entered the close-by kitchen.
    "What are you doing?" asked Skye, watching Dom.
    "Do you have any more Honey Buns?" he asked, looking in the high cabinets.
    "No, you ate them all. Remember?"
    "Oh. Well, your mom should get some more."
    "So you could keep eating all them up? I don't think so."
    Dom plopped down on the brown couch, sitting next to Skye.
    "So what do you think our thesis statement should be?" she asked.
    "What the heck is a thesis statement?"
    "Don't you pay attention in class?"
    "I haven't paid attention in class since '04."
    "That's fine because I was thinking about changing the topic anyway. I think it should be about how people don't murder enough boys who are lazy and wear black, fingerless gloves."
    Dom held his hands. "Vicious, aren't you?"
    "I bite a little."
    "Ooh, where?" He scooted closer to Skye.
    "Ew!" She pushed him, making fall over and rest on the arm of the couch.
    "How many times are you going to say, 'ew'?"
    "Until you seem less gross to me."
    Dom sat up. "Now I'm ugly?"
    "Oh, you were always ugly."
    "That type of talk won't make me help you with this essay."
    "You never once tried to help me!"
    "But I've always been there. That counts, right?"
    "No because if you're not making any contributions, then you're worthless to me."
    "You sound just like my mom."
    "Good!"
    "That's not good. I hate my mom."
    "Why do you hate your mom? Because she's always telling you to do your work?"
    "No, because she treats me like a piece of garbage."
    Skye paused. "Well, that's no excuse."
    "So what? If I want to work with you, I will work with you."
    "But if you don't, I will take all the credit for this project. All of it."
    "Is that a threat?"
    "I don't know. Is it?!"
    "I don't think you will."
    "You know what? Think how you want to think. But just know this: you're a loser and you'll always be a loser. You can make people do all the work for you all you want but you're never gonna know how to do anything. The world doesn't need you. Heck, I don't need you."
    Dom stared hard into Skye's eyes. "You know, you're very hot when you get angry." He put his hand on her thigh.
    Skye smacked it away. "Ew!"
    "Can you stop saying, 'ew'?"
    "No! I don't like you."
    "Not even a little bit?"
    "I rather eat my own puke then touch you."
    "Really?"
    "Really. Chunks and all."
    "Well, if you feel that way, then I'll leave."
    "Nothing would make me happier."
    Dom picked up his black backpack from the floor and left the apartment. Skye sighed, putting all of her focus into the document. Then her cell phone vibrated. She took it out of her jeans' pocket and turned it on. Dom sent a winky face to her by text message. Angrily, she typed, "STOP IT!!!" and sent it to him. She threw her phone on the coffee table in front of the couch then lied on her back with the laptop on her stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment