Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Hearts At The Fountain (Chapter 4)

"Y entonces el hombre dijo: '¿Me taco a mí?'" Madeline told in a perfect Spanish accent to a group of actors backstage.
The actors chuckled and clamored in Spanish, their main language.
Seconds after, Skye ran up behind Madeline in excitement. "Hey, Maddie," she captured Madeline's attention. "Are you ready to go out and perform again?"
"I was born ready," Madeline turned around. "I've done plays before but not in high school. So maybe this could be my breakthrough."
"Maddie, it's school, not Broadway."
"But it's practice. I mean the excessive lines, the costume changes, the emotions: it is hard work. Plus, I can be known as the girl who played Ashley from Hearts at the Fountain better than the other past girls who played her. That means so much to me."
"Well, if it means so much to you, then I am happy for you. Plus, the first three scenes you did were spectacular."
"Aw, thank you."
"If only Sunstreet gave me permission to change the music up a bit, I would have added some sparkle on you."
"Oh, well. Maybe next time. No matter what play is next, I'm getting a role in it and you will add sparkle on me."
"Cool. And can you do me a favor?" Skye turned around and pointed towards her hair. "Can you tell me if my bun is messed up?"
"Girl, you're the pianist. Nobody was looking at your hair."
Skye turned back around. "Gee, thanks," she said, sarcastically. "Well, I better go. We have less than a minute left. Go get 'em."
"Thanks."
Skye walked away to go down the stage steps back to the piano.

The audience applauded as the curtains opened up to start the fourth scene of the play, exposing Madeline and Nicky in their positions. Skye played the keys on the grand piano perfectly, forming a light, sentimental tune.
"Thanks for the book, Lee," Madeline said in a creamy voice, wagging the red book in her right hand.
"No problem," said Nicky, in a more gentle voice. "You will enjoy it."
"You know, I've never met a guy like you. You're different."
"Everybody's different."
"I know. But you're... special. As if you were some sort of god."
"Why thank you."
The audience chuckled.
Madeline stood up. "I mean it. It's like you were sent to me."
"Maybe you were sent to me."
The two walked slowly closer and closer to each other. Right when their faces were going to touch, they parted as they heard a call:
"Hey, guys!" Andrea grinned, walking towards the two; her thick heels making loud, dull sounds in every step on the stage.
The portrayed couple stared at Andrea in confusion.
"Hanging out by the fountain?" she asked, rolling her arms towards the cardboard fountain behind them.
Madeline walked closer to Andrea. "Andrea, what the heck are you doing here?" she whispered with clenched teeth.
"Oh, my name is not Andrea," she said loudly as her voice became more deadpan. "I'm Susie Palace and I'm new around here."
"Susie Palace?" Madeline continued to whisper. "Really?"
"Uh, welcome to Indio, Susie," Nicky played along. "How do you like it so far?"
"Oh, it's fantastic here," Andrea responded. "What is not fantastic is that you have been avoiding me for a long time before I came here."
"Okay, what?"
"I used to be Lee's girlfriend," Andrea faced Madeline. "Actually, I am technically his girlfriend since we didn't really break it off."
"Then break it off," Madeline responded.
"No. He should give me a 'hello kiss' before we even talk about us."
"Okay, I'm going to break character," Madeline shook her head, "because this is ridiculous. Why are you up here, Andrea?"
"You think you can take my man, Made-leen?"
"What?"
"Don't take my man away, Made-leen, just because you can!"
"What are you talking about? Why are you calling me that?"
"Calling you what?"
"Made-leen. You keep calling me 'Made-leen'."
"Oh, well, I was blacking out a bit. But you still can't take my man!"
"Andrea, I don't want your man."
"Andrea, I like you," Nicky jumped in, "but you have to leave."
"I'm not going to leave if she's going to plant one on you," Andrea shook her head.
"I have to, Andrea," said Madeline. "It's a play."
"Then play people who don't kiss!"
As Andrea continued to ramble on about her relationship with Nicky, two strong-looking men in black collared shirts walked on the stage towards her.
"Alright, miss, it's time for you to go," said one of the guards, grabbing Andrea's arm.
"Don't touch me," Andrea uttered as she pushed away the guard. Her push was so forceful that the guard backed up unsteadily and bumped into the cardboard fountain, knocking it down.
The other guard managed to grab both of Andrea's arms and hold them behind her back. But Andrea struggled so much that she and the guard walked idly and unsteadily on the stage, causing them to back up into the white bench that was in front of the fountain and trip over it.
Nicky and Madeline stared at the conflict with wide eyes and gaped mouths. Madeline looked at the audience, who were shocked as well.
She stuttered and walked frontwards a bit on the stage. "What's with crazy people, am I right?" she chuckled nervously.
A man in a black turtleneck and black glasses stood up from one of the seats in the front row of the auditorium and yelled, "Intermission!"
The audience witnessed the curtains closing in, soon covering the mess made by Andrea and the two guards along with the two lead characters.
"This would have seemed less awkward if there was some rock music," muttered Skye.

No comments:

Post a Comment