Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Andrea's New Boyfriend (Chapter 3)

A couple days after, after school, the girls decided to go over Lizzie's house by Andrea driving them all in her jeep to the house. On the car ride to her house, Andrea gabbed about her boyfriend, Ricardo Iglesias, which tired out the girls to their ears. The girls remained looking interested but Andrea kept talking from the car to the house until they finally arrived. After their arrival, the girls settled in the fancy-looking living room and started to help each other with their homework.
"I don't get this question," said Lizzie, tapping her face with her number-two pencil. She then used it to point at the question on her worksheet clipped in her polka-dotted binder. "What is a 'pyramid gore' theorem?"
Madeline, who was sitting behind her on the pale pink sofa, looked over Lizzie's shoulder to read the question on the worksheet. "That says 'Pythagorean Theorem'," she corrected.
"Oh, then that makes so much sense," Lizzie said as she began to write.
"Ricardo is good at math," Andrea noted from a comfy, blue chair. "If you ask him to solve a problem, he will solve it in an instant. I bet he studied geometry as a little kid."
"Well, that's good that you found a guy who is focused on his studies," said Debra, who was sitting on the floor.
"Yeah, he's focused on his studies, sports, family and me. Cute, huh?"
"Yeah, that's adorable," Skye said in deadpan, flipping through her chemistry textbook. "Does any of you know how to solve for a limiting reagent?"
"Ricardo is good at chemistry, also," Andrea added. "He would get a hundred percent on all of his science tests. And he still does. I find that amazing."
"That doesn't answer my question," Skye responded after a pause.
"Go to page two hundred twenty," said Madeline. "There are some notes about that."
Skye flipped through the pages of her textbook backwards to the page.
"Oh, Ricardo is thinking about publishing a textbook when he's older," said Andrea.
"What is he going to publish a textbook about?" Madeline asked.
"Practically everything he knows."
"I don't know how textbooks are made," said Lizzie, "but I don't think you can do that."
"Uh, I think you can because Ricardo can do anything."
"Okay, is there one thing about your boyfriend that you don't like?" Skye asked, frustrated.
"I don't like it when food gets stuck in his teeth," Andrea replied.
"Finally."
"But it doesn't matter because his teeth comes out clean and white by the end of the day."
Skye groaned and buried her face into her textbook.
"What?" Andrea said. "You guys aren't annoyed with me talking about my boyfriend, are you?"
"No, we're pretty fond of it," Madeline smiled, more in a sarcastic way.
"We love it when you talk about your boyfriend for hours and hours and hours and hours..." said Lizzie.
Madeline patted on Lizzie on the shoulder to get her to stop talking.
"Awesome," Andrea responded. She started to pick up her books and dump them into her shiny yellow backpack.
"Why are you putting your books away?" asked Madeline.
"I got to meet up with Ricardo at Starbucks."
"But we practically just got here."
"I know but Ricardo texted me about ten seconds ago."
"You-- You going to drive?" asked Lizzie.
"Uh, yeah."
"But you drove us here," Madeline reminded her.
"I'm sorry but I really got to see him. I haven't seen him in a couple of days."
"It's been twenty minutes," said Skye.
"That's a long time... in some countries. See you tomorrow."
She zipped her backpack closed and stood up, picking it up and carrying it over one shoulder. She walked off out of the living room into the lounge of the house.
"But Andrea, I can't walk home by myself," Madeline shouted.
The girls heard the door close from a distance.
Debra stared at Madeline in a confusing way.
"What?" said Madeline. "It's unsafe to walk by yourself. There are people out there who find girls like me 'too pretty'."
"Uh, narcissist," Skye coughed.
"Please, I rather hear Madeline talk about herself than Andrea talk about her boyfriend," Lizzie confessed.
"You know what?" Skye inquired. "I agree. I am happy that Andrea found a guy that she really likes but come on. I like leather but you don't see me going 'blah-blah-blah' about it."
"Totally," Madeline agreed. "I love Andrea and I just want her to be happy. But if she talks about Ricardo one more time, I'm going to set him on fire."
"That will just make her talk about him more."
"I don't want Andrea to break up with Ricardo," said Lizzie. "But something needs to happen so we don't die from exhaustion."
Madeline turned to her head to look at Debra. "Debra, how about you talk to Andrea?"
"Why me?" Debra asked.
"Because I feel like Andrea would listen to you. Plus, you're calm, cool and you won't tear her eyeballs out."
"I'm flattered. But what do I say?"
"Say that we all love her and we love how she found a man to make her happy. But she talks about Ricardo a little way too much and we would appreciate it if she talked less about him and focused more on other subjects like... food or... animals... or... anything that doesn't involve her boyfriend."
"Okay, I'll try. But just know... that she is Andrea. And Andrea tends to get aggressive sometimes."
"Please, like you're scared of Andrea," said Lizzie.
"I'm not scared. She just needs zen."
"What is zen?"
"A thing you don't know."
"Well, that settles it," said Madeline. "Debra is going to talk to Andrea... tomorrow."
"Tomorrow?" Debra shouted.
"Zen!" she pointed.
Debra sighed and relaxed her face and shoulders. "Yes, tomorrow."
"Okay, problem solved. Now which one of you is going to hold my hand and walk me home later?"

No comments:

Post a Comment