Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Skye's The Limit (Chapter 4)

Sean opened the door from inside his house after he heard the ring of the doorbell.
"Oh, hey, Donald," he greeted the boy with blond hair in front of him.
"'Sup, man," said the boy.
"'Sup, man," Sean responded before putting out his hand. "That will be twenty dollars."
Donald dug into the pocket of his jeans and pulled a wad of cash. He counted the dollar bills and handed Sean the twenty.
"Thanks, man," Sean said, placing the money in the pocket of his hoodie.
Donald entered the house. "I hope this party has beer," he pointed at Sean.
"There's one can on the table," Sean closed the door. "Try to fight for it."

"I hope enough people came," Skye said to David, playing with a strip of her straight, blonde hair. "I don't want us to throw another party when we're so close to buying that synthesizer."
"And I don't feel like cleaning up another time," David added. "Sean's house is too big."
"Yeah, I don't feel like cleaning up another time, either. I think I saw a girl throw up a couple minutes ago."
"And you didn't do anything?"
"I didn't want to believe it, Dave. I didn't believe it. But if it did happen, I'll clean it."
"Or we can get Kent to clean it."
Skye nodded. "Yeah, we can do that."
"Everybody should be having a good time anyway. There's food, there's punch with hopefully no liquor, and there's going to be entertainment: us!"
"We do rock."
"Yeah, and if everybody has a good time, we'll be able to keep the money... I hope Sean didn't lose."
"He is a klutz. But he's our klutz."
"Let's hope for the best."
"For the best."
David picked up a plastic cup full of fruit punch from the table behind him and sipped it.
"Does the drink taste liquor-y?" asked Skye.
David looked into the cup. "No, but I haven't drank punch in so long, it's hard to tell."
Skye giggled.
"Hey, guys," Sean shouted rushing up to them. "I asked Phillip to watch the door and get the money so we can play. Is that alright?"
"Well, I don't know Phillip," said David.
"Oh, he's a friend of mine."
"Does Phillip steal?" asked Skye.
"No, I asked him," said Sean. "He said no."
"Well, what did his eyes say?" questioned David.
Sean paused. "You know what? Let me go check."
He turned around and walked back.
"'What did his eyes say?'" Skye repeated.
"Yeah, I was just messing with him," smiled David.
Skye grinned and giggled.

Skye turned on the microphone in the garage. "Welcome, ladies and gents to the garage of Sean Bronstein's house," she spoke into it, her voice amplifying from the surrounding speakers.
The people standing in front of the band cheered.
"This seems really indie," Skye continued, "but we are A New Yesterday and we wanted to see if we could gain a few fans. So enjoy as we will be covering Yellowcard's 'Ocean Avenue'."
"And if you don't like us," said David, walking in front of Skye and into the microphone, "we're letting you know that there are no refunds."
Most of the people in the audience groaned.
"Okay, let's do this," said Skye.
David walked back to his position and played the chords of E major, F minor and D on his guitar along with Sean. Kent played his drums into the intro before Skye started singing in her fluent, punk voice:

There's a place off Ocean Avenue
Where I used to sit and talk with you
We were both sixteen and it felt so right
Sleeping all day, staying up all
Night
Staying up all
Night

If I could find you now
Things would get better
We could leave this town
And run forever
Let your waves crash down on me
And take me away, yeah-ee-yeah

The audience cheered and applauded as David played the chord of A5 during the bridge. Him and Sean played their part of the bridge with their required chords as Skye jumped in.

We look up at the same night sky
We keep pretending the sun will not rise
We'll be together for one more night
Somewhere, somehow

If I could find you now
Things would get better
We could leave this town
And run forever
I know somewhere, somehow
We'll be together
Let your waves crash down on me
And take me away-yeah-ee-yeah

David and Sean played the same chords from the beginning to end the song as Kent played the beats to finalize. The crowd cheered and applauded more loudly than they did before.
"Go Skye!" a familiar voice called.
The voice stunned Skye as she tried to gaze into the crowd to find out that voice. She looked for several seconds until she saw her four best friends clapping and cheering from the back. She grinned and giggled responsively at them as she was super giddy to see her friends show up.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment