Monday, April 14, 2014

The Skye's The Limit (Chapter 2)

On a Friday afternoon, after school, Skye angled the microphone towards her mouth in the garage of her friend, Sean's, home.
"You should have bought me a microphone stand that was my height," noted Skye to her friend, David.
"Sorry, I don't know how tall you are," said David, tightening the string of his red electric guitar.
"I would tell you but I can't," Skye joked. "It's top secret."
"Why would somebody's height be top secret?" Sean asked himself, playing a soft chord on his blue electric guitar.
"Can't wait to get that new synthesizer," Skye's friend, Kent, from behind the drum set, mentioned.
"Me, neither," agreed Skye. "All we need is five hundred dollars and it's ours."
"But that means we have to invite twenty-five people to our party," said Sean, "and I told my mom it would just be a small social gathering."
"Then, we'll tell all the people we invite that if they destroy anything in your house, it's another five dollars."
"You can't buy a vase with five dollars," said David.
"You can at Walmart," replied Skye.
"And I think you can buy a vase for just a dollar at the Dollar store," said Sean.
"Good to know," whispered David.
"Once I get my hands on that synthesizer, our music is going to liven up the generation of rock," Skye groaned in excitement.
"Calm down, it's just an instrument," said David. "Not a magical wand."
"Do you guys even know ten people?" asked Kent.
The guys disagreed, shaking their heads and stating the amount of people that they know.
"So we're just going to invite people that we don't know?" asked David.
"We can invite our cousins and charge them," Skye recommended.
David looked up at the ceiling. "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea."
"My cousin owes me money anyway," said Sean.
"Great, now we have a plan," Skye slapped her hands together. "Let's rehearse, shall we?"
Suddenly, a cellphone started ringing.
"Skye, I think your phone is ringing," said Kent, pointing a phone on a folding chair with one of his drumsticks.
Skye walked towards the chair and picked up the phone. She read the name on the phone's screen, which said "Maddie", and pressed the "Ignore" button. She laid the phone back on the chair and walked back to the microphone stand.
"Who was that?" asked David.
"My friend, Maddie," answered Skye.
"And you just ignored her?"
"We're about to rehearse."
"Madeline's pretty," noted Sean. "She has a nickname for me."
"What's the nickname," asked Kent.
"Clumsy Idiot."
"Okay, let's get started," said Skye.
The cellphone rang again. Skye walked back to the chair and picked up the phone. After reading the name "Maddie" on the phone, she pressed the "Ignore" button on the screen like she did earlier. She put the phone down on the chair and walked back to the microphone stand.
"What are you, mad at her?" asked David.
"No," Skye answered without hesitating.
"Then why aren't you answering the phone?"
"Isn't it rude to answer the phone while your band is rehearsing?"
"We barely started."
"Then I'll call her back."
"It's okay, It's too late anyway."
"Too late?"
"Yeah, if you send the same person to voicemail more than once, they won't want to hear from you afterwards."
"Then I'll call Maddie when we're done. She won't get mad."
"Oh, I don't know," said Sean. "Madeline would get pretty aggressive towards me when I would screw up an experiment in Chemistry. But that just means she loves me."
Skye stared at Sean awkwardly. "Okay, let's just start, shall we?" she snapped out of it.
"We're doing 'Sugar, We're Goin' Down', right?" asked Kent.
"Yep," responded Skye, turning on her microphone, "the short version. Ready?"
Sean stood up from his chair as Kent played the drums for the intro. The other boys jumped in, playing the keys of D, G, Bm and G on their guitars: David playing lead and Sean playing rhythm.
After they repeated their chords, to play their next ones, Skye sang their timed part into the microphone:

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
I've been dying to tell you anything that you want to hear
'Cause that's just who I am this week
Lie in the grass next to the mausoleum
I'm just a notch in your bedpost but you're just a line in a song

Drop a heart
Break a name
We're always sleeping here and we're sleeping for the wrong team

We're going down, down, in an earlier round
And sugar, we're going down swinging
I'll be your number one with a bullet
A loaded gun complex, cock it and pull it

Down, down in an earlier round
And sugar, we're going down swinging
I'll be your number one with a bullet
A loaded gun complex, cock it and pull it

We're going down, down
Down, down
We're going down, down
A loaded gun complex, cock it and pull it
  
We're going down, down, in an earlier round
And sugar, we're going down swinging
I'll be your number one with a bullet
A loaded gun complex, cock it and pull it

The boys ended the song with David and Sean playing the last chords and Kent doing a short drum roll as Skye applauded to their good performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment