Friday, September 4, 2015

Oh, Brother... (Chapter 4)

Lizzie and the girls waited an hour in the lobby. It gave Lizzie some time to think about all the possibilities that could happen to her life if her mother goes through with the delivery or not. All the girls could think about was if Lizzie is alright and would she be alright once she was done waiting. Then a middle-aged doctor with dark hair approached the girls.
"Which one of you is Lizzie?" he asked.
"I am she," Lizzie raised her arm.
"Come with me."
Lizzie glanced at her friends before getting up. She followed the tall doctor into the hallway out of the lobby. She passed other doctors and nurses and poker-faced family members. In just under a minute, the doctor stopped and opened a door. He gestured for Lizzie to go inside it first. She entered with the doctor coming in and spotted something like sunshine. It was a sleeping, clean baby wrapped in a blue blanket, resting in her mother's arms. Her mother smiled at her as Lizzie stood in shock. She walked closer to the hospital bed her mom was lying in with blue bed sheets over her legs. Lizzie rested her hands on the railing, staring at the adorable, pink-skinned baby.
"Meet your brother, Lizzie," her mother uttered in a weak voice. "His name is Dallas."
Lizzie smiled and waved at the baby. "Hello, Dallas."
"The name Kansas reminded your dad of Dallas."
Lizzie's father shrugged while smiling under his dark, thick mustache.
"Because they're cities of the same state?" Lizzie inquired.
Her mother dropped her smile and made a confused look to herself.
"Can I hold him?"
"I don't know, sweetie," her mother responded.
"I'm not clumsy."
"You dropped your car keys... several times."
"'Cause I was nervous."
"Are you nervous now?"
"I'm cool."
Lizzie's mom sighed. "Alright."
Slowly, her mother moved her arms toward the left. Lizzie reached out and tucked her hands into her mother's arms. Carefully, she began wrapping her arms around the baby and lifted him out of her mother's arms. She stood up straight while looking at her brother's sleeping face. He had his mother's cheeks, his father's ears and Lizzie's nose.
"Hi, Dallas," she whispered before giggling. "I'm your sister, Lizzie. My real name's Elizabeth but I'll let you call me Lizzie. I'm seventeen years older than you, meaning in three years, I'll be old enough to move out. So I won't see you for very long. But I'm going to make the time I have worth it, okay? I'm really nice once you get to know me. I have four friends which is a lot. One day, you'll have four friends just like me. But I'm going to be your best friend. Actually, it's probably illegal to be your best friend since I'm really older than you. But we'll make it work. Gosh, you're so cute. You're fantabulous. Sorry, I shouldn't utter big words to you. I've been saying that word for a long time and I still don't know how to spell it. But if you need help with anything, I will be there. Except for history homework; I can't help you there."
"What?" said Lizzie's mother.
"Shh! He's sleeping. Anyway, I'm not going to let anyone hurt you." Lizzie's eyes began to water and her voice became quivery. "I'm going to be very protective because I never been a sister before. I mean my friends call me their sister but it doesn't count. But this, this counts. This matters. I'm going to be like a second mom except I won't breastfeed you. That's weird and I like my boobs."
Lizzie's father cleared his throat, notifying that her parents were still in the room.
Lizzie looked up. "Sorry, dad." She looked back down. "Where was I? Oh, yeah. No matter what you do, I will always love you. I will love you unconditionally until the day I die or until Jesus kills us all. But whatever happens, I'm there for you. You could stab me in the leg and I'll still love you. You know why? Because I'm forgiving so you don't have to worry. I'm your sister, your big sister. And I'll never let you down. Like that Rita Ora song. Once you hear it, you'll love it. But you're a boy so you'll probably like gangsta rap or something. Mom and Dad won't let you listen to it anyway because they think it's against God. But you'll probably listen to it at school or something."
"Alright, Lizzie, that's enough," said her mother, sitting up.
"Okay, just a 'seccy'. I'm going to give you to your mother now. She's going to love you, even if you switch religions. Because she's a mother and not loving you would be a sin. Dad will do the same. And never forget this... Oh, you probably will because you're a baby. But I'm going to say it anyway: I'm there. I'm square. Which is so not true because I'm round than square but you get it. I love you, Dallas."
Gingerly, Lizzie handed back her baby brother by leaning over the bed. Her mother reached her arms out and wrapped her arms around the baby. Lizzie slowly let her arms go as her mother got a good, safe grip on the baby. Her mother held the baby while rocking him as Lizzie stood up straight.
"That was sweet of you, Lizzie," her mother said. "And Jesus is not going to kill us all."
Lizzie sniffled. "That's not what the church says."

No comments:

Post a Comment