Thursday, September 3, 2015

Oh, Brother... (Chapter 3)

Right after, Lizzie used her red car and the help of a GPS to drive her mother to the nearest hospital. Once they got there, Lizzie helped her mother out of the car and walked through the doors. After arriving at the front desk, the doctors immediately took her away, leaving Lizzie to sit in the waiting room. First, she called her father to tell him that his wife was going into labor. Then, she called all of her friends to comfort her. It took a half an hour for all of the girls to arrive at the hospital. Individually, they hugged Lizzie and sat near her in the empty chairs.
"I'm so, so glad you guys are here," she said. "I need the company, especially since my dad isn't here yet."
"Where is your dad?" asked Skye.
"He was at work when I called him. Where he works is sorta far so it has to take him a minute to get here now."
"How was your mom doing before she came here?" asked Madeline.
"Nothing good. She was crying and wetting herself."
"Ew," uttered Andrea.
"She was peeing on herself like that time I did when you guys put my hand in a bowl of water when I was sleeping."
"That was funny," smiled Skye.
"There's nothing funny about peeing on yourself. My mom was in pain; it was probably hard for her to hold it in."
"You're right. Sorry."
"But then she farted and I laughed a little bit."
Andrea snickered, just a bit.
"But she was making a mess in my car so it became unfunny again."
"Ugh!" Madeline made a face of disgust. "Remind me to not call shotgun when we get in your car sometime."
"When have we ever gotten into Lizzie's car?" asked Andrea.
"That's not important," Debra replied. "What's important is that your mother is okay."
"I hope she is," said Lizzie. "I have no idea. I just hope she and the baby are okay. He's not even due yet."
"That happens to some women," said Madeline.
"To be informed of the wrong date?"
"No, besides, those dates are predictions. Yet sometimes, babies are just born earlier than they're supposed to. Got it?"
"Yeah, I get it... that doctors are psychics. Wow, do you think they know when the cure for cancer will arrive?"
Madeline paused and stared at Lizzie. "No," she responded.
Lizzie clicked her teeth and pressed her back against the padded chair. She soon jumped out of the chair when she finally saw her father come in. The two walked toward each other.
"Hi, sweetie," he greeted. "Where's your mother?"
"In a delivery room, getting tubes inserted into her skin," answered Lizzie.
"Hi, Mister Duvall," Madeline waved.
Lizzie's dad looked at the girls, who all waved at him. He waved back, awkwardly.
"Where were you?" asked Lizzie.
"I got stuck in traffic," her dad responded.
"That is no excuse! Mom was in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Pain before I drove her to the hospital. I thought the baby was going to deliver himself."
"I'm sorry, I--"
"Don't say sorry to me. Mom needs someone and I don't want to see her naked. So you go in there and be there for her as part of your fatherly and husband-ly duty. You got that?"
"I got it."
"You got that?!"
"I got it."
"Now run to her."
Lizzie's father bolted away across the lobby.
"Run to her like Adam Levine in that Maroon 5 video! You get to her!"
Her father zipped pass two nurses into the hallway which contained the emergency rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment