Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Oh, Brother... (Chapter 2)

Later that day, Lizzie went downstairs into the kitchen to keep her pregnant mother company. Her mother was making coffee through a machine that sat on top of the lower cabinets. Lizzie greeted her before sitting on a stool at the counter.
"Mom, does that have caffeine?" she asked.
Her mother looked at her. "No, sweetie."
"Because you know how babies shouldn't have caffeine."
"How do you know that?"
"I did some research. Did you know the baby boom occurred in 1946, right after Elvis Presley died?"
Lizzie's mother raised an eyebrow. "I think he died a little later than that."
"Of course you would know that. You're old."
Her mother stared at her.
"Not that old if you're pregnant."
"Sure, Lizzie." Her mother paid attention to the coffee machine which surged fresh black coffee into the glass jar under the nozzle.
"When is the baby due again?"
"In a few weeks."
"I felt like you told me the news just yesterday."
"I probably did."
Lizzie laughed. "But seriously, this is happening so fast. But that's a good thing for me because I can hardly wait."
"I remember when you didn't want me and your dad to have a baby."
"Well, times have changed. I'd gotten older."
"Not that much older."
"I'm growing every day. Still, I'd gotten older and passed it. Now I can't wait."
Once the machine finished brewing, Lizzie's mother took the jar out of it and began pouring the coffee into a pink mug. "I'm so glad we're on the same page," she shared. "Now we don't have to send you to Sunday school."
"Please, you should go to Sunday school for doing the nasty."
"You're allowed to do 'the nasty' whenever you want after marriage."
"Well, I hope you didn't abuse that rule."
"Look, can we continue talking about the baby?" Lizzie's mother asked, picking up her mug and facing her daughter.
"Okay. So I've been thinking of names to give my brother. I came up with Kansas, Cleo, Lucy, Hannah and Diane. Don't give me any credit; I got those names from a movie."
"Those are girl names."
"Huh, I guess when I was watching the movie, the names did come from girls. Okay, you don't have to name him Cleo."
"Very nice of you, Lizzie, but I think I'll just name him."
Lizzie's mother raised her mug towards her lips and took a slow sip of the coffee. But just after a few seconds, her eyes widened. She spit the coffee back into the mug then dropped it on the floor, breaking into pieces. Lizzie's mother yelped in agony while holding her big stomach.
"It's okay, mom," said Lizzie. "You can always get another mug."
"No, it's not that," her mother moaned. "My water broke."
"That's fine; I'll just call a plumber." Lizzie hopped off the stool.
"No, the baby's coming."
Lizzie took a few steps closer to her mother. "The baby's coming?"
"The baby's coming!"
"The baby's coming!"
"The baby's coming!"
Lizzie hopped. "Oh, oh, do you want me to drive you to the hospital?"
"Yes, please."
"Okay, okay."
Lizzie locked her arm with her slouching mother's arm and helped her walk out of the kitchen.
"Wow, Diane, you couldn't wait any longer?" Lizzie asked, looking at her mom's stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment