Sunday, September 13, 2015

Independence Day (Chapter 4)

An hour later, the girls got into Madeline's car and she drove them twenty minutes to the open field by the supermarket. They sung along to pop radio on their way there to pump themselves up. Madeline parked on fresh grass next to other cars when she got there. The girls got out of the car, gazing upon the crowd of teenagers attending the bash who were standing by a smoking grill and blankets on the ground. The girls walked together further into the field.
"Hey, girls," Chrissy approached the five.
The girls stopped.
"Hey, Chrissy," Madeline greeted.
"Glad you girls came," admitted Chrissy. "I have a friend who is going to set off the best fireworks that you guys have never seen."
"Really?" asked Lizzie.
"Really. So enjoy yourselves and have some barbecue."
"Oh, I don't eat barbecue," said Debra.
"Geez, Debbie, live a little." Chrissy tucked a long lock of her brown hair behind her ear. She turned around and walked away from the girls.
"Since when does she call me Debbie?"
"It doesn't matter," said Madeline. "Let's just get out there."
The girls began walking again closer into the party.
"Hey, Skye," Jeffrey waved from the distance.
"Hey!" Skye responded, parting herself from the girls. She sprinted a few yards towards her boyfriend. When she got close enough to him, she hugged him then walked away with him, hand in hand.
"Well, Skye's busy," said Andrea.
"I'm happy for her," confessed Madeline. "She has finally found someone. And he's quiet so he can never talk back."
Lizzie stopped, with her friends still walking, when she felt several taps on her shoulder. She turned and spotted a handsome, teenage African American boy in a blue and black striped sweater.
"Hi," he grinned, bearing his sparkly white teeth.
"Hey, black guy," Lizzie replied.
He chuckled awkwardly. "Black guy has a name."
"Oh, of course. Sorry, what's your name?"
"My name's DeMarcus."
"Oh, I've heard of you. My friend says that you've been eyeing me at school."
"Well, your friend is right."
"But why have you been eyeing me? You don't know me."
"You're right about that. I'm sorry; I'll stop eyeing you if it bothers you."
"No, it's okay. I like to be eyed."
"You do? Then I'll keep eyeing you. In fact, I'm eyeing you right now."
Lizzie giggled. "You know, my favorite letter is I."
"Really? My favorite letter is D."
"Why?"
"Because it's part of my name, DeMarcus."
"Oh! My name is Lizzie, by the way."
"I'm DeMarcus."
"I know."
"I know, too. I just wanted you to know."
"You wanted me to know that you know?"
"No, I wanted to know that you know so I'd know."
"Wait, what do I know?"
"I don't know. But I know you're beautiful."
"Oh, I know."

While Lizzie was having the "perfect" conversation with her new friend, DeMarcus, the rest of the girls were having one of their regular conversations.
"That guy has been checking you out ever since we got here," Madeline told Andrea while pointing at a guy far away with very tan skin and dark, short gelled hair.
Andrea scoffed. "Please, what would I do with a guido?"
"Oh, come on. You liked Pauly D."
"Yeah but where's Pauly D now?"
"DJing and-- and taking care of his biological baby. But that guy is not Pauly D, okay? It's not like you're waiting on Kevin Christie."
Andrea began chuckling. "Oh, please. I don't want Kevin no more."
"Then grab some dulce, Candy Andy."
"You're right!"
Andrea sprinted away towards the guy who was ogling her nonstop.
"He has so much gel in his hair," commented Debra.
"I know," Madeline agreed. "I should've sent Andrea off to somebody else."

No comments:

Post a Comment