Thursday, May 19, 2016

Is This the End? (Part Two) (Chapter 1)

It had been a month since the girls decided to stop spending time with each other. Their argument moved them into different directions and they almost forgot that they were ever friends. They made new friends or connected with old ones. Where they sat in lunch was a story of its own. Lizzie sat with her boyfriend, DeMarcus, and his friends, all African-American. Andrea sat with the members of a hip-hop dance club which she decided to join earlier. Debra sat with her boyfriend, Kyle, and friends which consisted of hipsters and bohemians. And Skye sat with her bandmates, David, Sean and Kent. Where Madeline sat was a mystery. Nonetheless, they all avoided the table that they would sit every time they went to lunch. They left it cold and empty for a month.
Lizzie, unlike the girls, thought about her friends every day and was learning gradually to cope with the breakup. She tried to enjoy all the time she was spending with her boyfriend and make nice with his friends, who weren't that nice to her.
One day, during lunch, one of DeMarcus' friends, Jermaine, was telling a story to the group.
"So I get in the car and my girl says, 'That's not your car.' And I said, 'Yes, it is my car.' And she said, 'No, that is not your car.' And I said, 'LaQuisha, how are you going to tell me what's my car and what's not?' And she says, 'Because your car air freshener was Apples and Cinnamon and this car air freshener says, 'Peaches and Cream'.' So I said, 'Oh, shoot, I'm sorry. My bad.' So we get out of the car and it turns out that I parked a couple yards away from that car. If whoever that owned that car saw me get in it, he would've got your boy locked up."
"We know that you don't want to get arrested again, Jermaine," said DeMarcus.
"Hey, I was not arrested. They put me in the car, changed their mind and took me out. It don't count."
"Yes, it do," said another friend, Quincy.
"Man, whatever."
"Yo, yo," Lizzie started in an urbanized voice, "I got a crazy sto'y myself. L-L-Let me get to it. See, I was at my girl's house, right? And she had this cousin who was trippin'. She was just all kinds of trippin'. Me and my crew thought that she was trippin' 'cause she was sicky-sick. So one d-d-day, we were over at her house and the girl, the cousin, had a bat. And she was swingin' it. Just swingin' it. Like she was about to busta-bust our heads in. So then my girl, Andrea, A.K.A. Candy to the Andy, just took her by the face and dropped her down the stairs. Man, it was 'cray'. You shoulda been there. But we got paid. Mad paid, son. So it worked out in the endy-end."
DeMarcus' friends didn't respond to Lizzie's story. They just sat there and stared at her. Lizzie didn't know what else to say or do so she just glanced at everybody. After a while, they ignored her story and started talking to each other again.
"So Chantel, where'd you get the new weave?" asked Jermaine.
"I got it at the hair store across the street," answered DeMarcus' female friend, Chantel. "You know I'm always getting something there. I figured I needed a change, thank you very much."
"Girl, do you think I can go blonde?" asked her friend, Shanica, who was feeling Chantel's straight honey-colored hair.
"Most def, girl!"
"Yo, I can hook ya up if you wanna holla at me," said Lizzie, still speaking in an urban way. "See, I was givin' myself a haircut. You know, a snippy-snip. But I chopped it up, my sista. I chopped it all like chop suey. I didn't want to be seen in public, ya nah mean? So I bought these hair extensions, girl, and wore them until my flow came back in. I own a bunch of them extensions, girl. If you want, I can hook you up. Holla at me!"
Lizzie's boyfriend's friends just stared at her again. They still didn't know how to respond to her. Jermaine leaned towards DeMarcus and patted him on the arm.
"De, how long is this white girl gonna be sitting here?" he whispered to him.
"J, that white girl is my girlfriend," DeMarcus whispered back.
"Yeah, how long is she gonna be sitting here?"
"Dude, my girl lost all her friends. I'm her man and I didn't want her to feel lonely so I want her to sit here from now on."
Jermaine clicked his teeth. "Alright, man. But she needs to stop talking like she was one of us 'cause she's not."
"Then don't talk to her."
"Nobody's talking to her."
"Well, maybe you should."
"Did anybody hear that they're making a new Barbershop movie?" asked Quincy.
His friends agreed.
"Yeah, Nicki Minaj is in it and everything," said Shanica.
"Yo, I love me some Nicki Minaj!" said Lizzie. "Ya hear 'The Pinkprint'? Holla! Yo, do you know who's cool? Do you really wanna know who's cool? Iggy Azalea. That girl is the bomb. Oh, man, she be gettin' big time! I was gonna go to her concert last year but I traded in my tickets to see Tay-Tay. She got that bad blood for real, dawg. She bad-bad! Whoop-whoop!"
"Get out," ordered Jermaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment