Thursday, January 5, 2017

Embarrassment Town (Chapter 1)

The girls decided to spend their afternoon eating at a cafe. Instead of going to their new spot, The Tea Room, the girls decided to go to a cafe that Lizzie used to go to, Cool Beans. They sat at a booth, waiting for Madeline to arrive since she just got off from work. It only took twenty minutes for Madeline to come through the door. Lizzie squealed when she saw Madeline approaching them.
"Girls, I'm back by popular demand," said Madeline melodramatically.
"Yeah, yeah," said Skye. "Just sit down."
Andrea and Debra scooted down so Madeline could have room to sit. "Somebody missed me," Madeline said, smirking.
"How was work?" asked Lizzie.
"Work-y. I realize how hard lawyers have to work. Thank God we have lawyers in the world."
"Amen," said Debra.
"You say that like you need one."
Andrea and Skye laughed.
Soon, Wade, the waiter came to the girls' booth with a notepad and a pencil. "Hello, girls," he said. "Hello, Lizzie."
"Hi, Wade," Lizzie greeted back.
"Wow, this is the first time we weren't referred to as 'Madeline and the girls'," noticed Skye.
Madeline squinted her eyes at her.
"How's your boyfriend, DeMarcus?" asked Wade.
"Big and black," Skye answered for Lizzie.
"Oh, that's how my new girlfriend wants me to be."
Skye and Lizzie chuckled.
"What do you girls want to order?"
The girls looked at their little menus.
"Hmm, can I have the steak and fries?" requested Madeline. "Well done, please."
"Can I have the same thing," asked Lizzie, "but make the steak pink inside? I want it slightly raw."
Wade scribbled on his notepad. "That's what she said," he muttered.
"That's what who said?"
Wade shook his head, jiggling his grayish brown bangs. "Nothing. How about the rest of you?"
"I'll have the cheesesteak sandwich," Skye responded. "I'm on a no-pork diet," she said, mocking Madeline while eyeing her.
Madeline sneered at Skye.
"I'll have the chicken and waffles," requested Andrea. "Don't tell my parents."
"And I'll have the Caesar salad heavy with honey mustard dressing," said Debra.
Wade finished scribbling. "Alright," he said. "B.R.B." He walked away.
"B.R.B.?" repeated Skye. "That's a weird thing for a guy to say."
"Wade is always weird," mentioned Lizzie.
"Did I mention one of my aunts are getting married?" asked Madeline.
"Oh, no," Debra replied. "Tell us about it."
"Well, my aunt Cherise got engaged to Simon, the richest man alive, last year."
"I thought Donald Trump was the richest man alive," said Lizzie.
"No, I think that's Bill Gates," corrected Debra.
"Anyway," Madeline continued, "they're getting married on Saturday and the wedding's taking place in Canada so my family and I have to fly there on Friday. And I can't chicken out because my aunt made me a bridesmaid."
"Aw, you're a bridesmaid?" asked Debra.
"Yeah, my aunt doesn't have many friends so she made me a bridesmaid. She also made Veronique and Jeanne bridesmaids, too."
"Ugh, Veronique," groaned Skye. "I remember her."
"Who can forget about her?" asked Andrea. "Miss I-Don't-Play-Baseball-But-I'll-Swing-a-Bat-Over-Your-Head?"
"You swung a baseball bat at somebody before," reminded Madeline.
"Yeah, but I wasn't losing my mind when I did it."
"Oh, forget about Veronique," said Lizzie. "This is about your aunt Cheryl."
"Cherise," Madeline corrected.
"Cherise. She's getting married; why would chickening out be on your mind?"
"I don't know. She's just a little strange. Like Holly Golightly strange. She's strange 'cause she's fancy. Maybe even fancier than me. I just don't want to go to her wedding and it's not at all what I expected. What I do expect is that she's gonna put me in an ugly dress because you know how brides are. And there are going to be pictures of me looking like somebody mixed crack with their toothpaste." Madeline threw her arms out, being dramatic, only to knock over a salt shaker, spilling salt all over the table.
"Oh, no, you didn't, Madeline," gasped Andrea.
"What?"
"You just knocked over that shaker of salt," said Skye. "That's bad luck."
Madeline scoffed. "Yeah, right."
"Throw it!" Lizzie commanded.
"What?"
"Pick some salt up and throw it over your shoulder. It's supposed to get rid of the bad luck. Also, pat your head and rub your stomach. I heard that works, too."
"No, it doesn't, Lizzie," said Skye.
"I'm not gonna throw salt over my shoulder," said Madeline. "That's just stupid. Besides, I can't get salt on this sweater. It's cashmere."
"Well, if you're gonna have bad luck, you might as well look good," said Andrea.
"Will you stop? Bad luck doesn't exist."
"She's right," agreed Debra. "Bad luck isn't real. So let's not worry about it, okay?"
"Fine," Skye mumbled.
"Wade forgot to ask me for something to drink," mentioned Madeline.
"Drink the salt you spilled all over the place," Skye asserted.

No comments:

Post a Comment