Thursday, January 19, 2017

Beach Babes (Chapter 5)

"I can't believe you guys," said Skye. "You better call DeMarcus and Calvin and tell them what you were doing."
"No way!" said Madeline. "I didn't do anything wrong."
"Then why can't you tell Calvin anyway?"
"Because he'll think I did something wrong."
"I don't mind telling DeMarcus," said Lizzie. "We tell each other everything. He once told me about the skin tag growing on his butt."
"Gross," Madeline commented.
"Yeah, gross," Skye agreed. "Can you send me a picture?"
Madeline groaned.
When the girls arrived at their blanket, Andrea, in a big floppy hat, approached them.
"Hey, where were you guys?" she asked. "Just because I was tanning doesn't mean you have to leave me."
Skye released the girls and tilted her body. "Andrea, can you turn around for a second?"
"Why?"
"Just turn around."
Andrea rolled her eyes. "Fine."
She turned around so the girls could see her back. They were stunned to see that the entire backside of Andrea was ruddier than her front.
"Skye, if you want to look at my butt, it's okay to ask," said Andrea.
"Andrea, did you remember to flip over while you were tanning?" asked Madeline.
"No, I fell asleep. I'm going to do the front later though. I'm totally tan in the back, huh?"
"Um, define 'tan'," responded Skye.
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing," replied Madeline, shaking her head. "You look like fire. I mean, you look like you're on fire. Yeah, you're on fire."
"This girl is on fire," sang Lizzie.
Andrea turned back around and smiled at her friends.
"So where's Debra?" asked Madeline.
"I don't know," answered Andrea. "I thought she was with you."
"Guys, I think I know where she is," said Skye.
"Where?" asked Madeline.
Skye pointed at the ocean so that's where the girls looked. Although they were far away, they could see a black female standing on a yellow surfboard in the ocean. After taking a better examination of the female, they begin to recognize their friend.
"Debra?" said Lizzie.
The four girls rushed towards the edge of the ocean and got a better look. They joined the crowd of people watching Debra riding a huge wave. She was so focused, looking ahead of herself and not at her feet. Her arms were out and her posture was straight.
Using her feet, she moved the board to and fro inside the high waters. The crowd, including the girls, cheered for her. Then Debra bent down, moving the board straight across. Water was twirling over her wet head.
Finally, the wave crashed down over her and she fell into the water. The crowd fell silent until Debra resurfaced, climbing back on the surfboard. They all cheered as she stood up, regaining her balance, and used the board to float back into dry land. Everyone applauded for her; Debra's friends ran towards her and took turns giving her a hug.
"Debra, what were you doing out there?" asked Madeline.
"Catching some waves, man," answered Debra, picking up the paisley covered surfboard and holding it with one arm.
"That was amazing, Debra!" shared Lizzie.
"Yeah, how are you so good after all these years?" questioned Skye.
"All I had to do was listen for the whoosh-whoosh," Debra replied. "You know? So I just went out there and I heard a whoosh but not the whoosh-whoosh. So I listened for the other noises like the shh-ahh and wha-whirl. And before I knew it, I'm on the board under the shh-wha. And when the water came down on me like baah, I got back up and heard the whoosh-whoosh. Then after that, it was smooth sailing."
The girls stood there and stared at Debra.
"I'm not sure if I got all that," said Skye. "But that was incredible."
"Truly incredible," agreed Andrea.
"Thank you, guys," Debra said with a smile.
"Whose surfboard did you use?" asked Madeline.
"She used mine," said the Magician, stopping by and putting his arm around Debra's shoulders. "The thing about magicians is that they must have an assistant."
Debra looked up at him and smiled. "You got that right," she agreed.
"Oh, great," Skye said, throwing her arms at her sides. "So we're all cheating on our boyfriends? Well, don't I feel like such a newb."
"What did I miss?" asked Andrea.
"In your case, apparently not the sun," responded the Magician.
 "Ain't nobody was talking to you, Spicoli."

No comments:

Post a Comment