Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Embarrassment Town (Chapter 3)

 The day after, Madeline invited the girls over to her place. She just recently admitted that she does have bad luck and it's going way too far. The girls rang the doorbell and Madeline yelled that it was open. They let themselves in but didn't see Madeline in the living room at all. They moved further in and caught Madeline in the kitchen chopping up a stick of sage with a butcher knife. She is also wearing multiple bejeweled necklaces and bracelets.
 "Hey, sisters," she said, smiling at her friends.
 "What are you doing?" asked Skye.
 "Chopping up sage. No big deal."
 Andrea chuckled. "What are you doing that for?" she inquired.
 "So I can burn it."
 "Why?" questioned Skye.
 "You guys ask a lot of questions." Madeline put down the knife. "I'm trying to get rid of the bad luck, okay?"
 "With sage?" inquired Lizzie.
 "I looked online on how to get rid of my bad luck and it says that burning sage helps. And being around crystals and gemstones help ward off evil. Good thing I own jewelry with the finest stones. It makes me feel like an Egyptian princess."
 "Good for you, Cleopatra."
 Madeline continued to chop up the sage. "Whatever, Skye. Although, I do admire Cleopatra as an important figure." Madeline picked up all the chopped sage with her hands and dropped it in a black bowl. "Now the big finale." She took out a matchbox and picked a random match. She rubbed it on the table, causing it to ignite. Then she dropped the match into the bowl, setting all the sage on fire.
 Lizzie yelped at the sight of the fire.
 "Don't worry," assured Madeline. "This bowl is fireproof." She grabbed an oven mitt and began carrying the bowl. "Can someone open the window please?" She walked out of the kitchen with the bowl.
 "I'll get it," said Debra. She entered the kitchen and opened up the window.
 Madeline carried the smoking bowl to every corner of the dining and living room. 
 "Uh, are you sure that this stuff is working, Madeline?" asked Skye.
 "Well, nothing bad has happened in the last five minutes so yeah," answered Madeline. "I got to try all the methods, though."
 "What methods?" asked Andrea.
 "Well, I got to declutter my home from the things I don't want or use. I'm starting to become a hoarder. Also, I got to rearrange the furniture in my house. I don't mind doing that. And I got to turn all the lights on. No darkness can touch this room."
 "And that's all?" Skye asked sarcastically.
 Madeline put the bowl of burning sage on the coffee table. "Not quite. There were other methods I've tried. I bathed in salt water, I burned incense, and I saved all the broken pieces of my favorite handheld mirror. And--Oh! Do you like my shirt?" Madeline tugged on her gray sweater, which had a big green four-leaf clover on it.
 "Cute!" Lizzie commented.
 "Thanks. But I feel like I'm forgetting some things."
 "Have you tried cleansing your chakras with fresh flowers?" asked Debra, standing by the dining room.
 "No, I have not. Thank you, Debbie. And I also need a horseshoe. My mom owns some horses so getting a shoe shouldn't be hard to do."
 "You know what else you could do to throw away your bad luck?" questioned Skye. "Donate all the money you hide from us."
 "Donate? No way. I got to think about myself first."
 "Of course you would say that."
 "Madeline, are you sure you know what you're doing?" inquired Andrea. "I mean, you're doing a lot."
 "The more, the merrier," said Madeline, putting her hands on her hips. "I spilled salt and broke a mirror. I need to get lucky fast."
 Right there, Debra felt something brush up against her leg. She looked down and could not help but smile. "Aw!" she uttered.
 The girls looked at her and saw a white rabbit on the floor, wiggling its black nose.
 Debra picked it up and took a better look at it. "Where did this little bunny rabbit come from?" she asked.
 "Oh, I bought it after I got off from work," Madeline replied.
 "You bought a rabbit?" Skye questioned.
 "It's so cute," Debra remarked. "I didn't think you'd get another pet."
 "Oh, it's not a pet," Madeline corrected. She picked up a cleaver, which was sitting on the coffee table. "I just need it for its foot." She approached Debra but stopped when she turned around, shielding the animal.
  "What?" Debra shrieked. "You are not cutting off its feet!"
 "Relax, I only need the left foot."
 "I don't care which foot it is. You're not harming this bunny. I won't let you."
 "Why do you have a cleaver in your living room?" asked Skye.
 "You ask too many questions," said Madeline, pointing the cleaver at her.
 "Madeline, I love you but esta loca!" uttered Andrea. "Girl, you can't buy a rabbit just to cut off its foot. I better call PETA on your tail."
 "Look, I just want to have good luck."
 "But nobody's lucky," said Skye. "Good luck isn't real. I'm starting to think your bad luck is a coincidence. I mean, nothing bad is happening to you right now."
 "That's because I got all this stuff."
 "Listen, I don't think it's working. I think it's a placebo. It's all in your head."
 "I don't have to listen to you. You're not the one with the bad luck. You know what? I don't need a rabbit's foot. I just need sunlight. Lizzie, can you open the balcony door? I want to let all the sunlight in and air out the sage."
 "Nobody wants to smell your sage," said Andrea.
 "It's not for them. It's for me. So can everybody calm down?"
 "We're calm," said Debra. "You're the one with the cleaver, threatening to cut off this bunny's foot."
 "Yeah, you're being ridiculous," agreed Skye. "Or in your language, ridic."
 "I'm not being ridic," said Madeline, putting her knife down on the dining table. "I just want to be safe and sound for this wedding. Okay? I am a bridesmaid."
 "Maddie, you don't happen to have a cat, too, do you?" asked Lizzie loudly.
 "No. Why?"
 "Because I happen to see one."
 The girls joined Lizzie on the balcony. They looked down and saw a black cat chilling on the grass outside of the building, twirling its tail.
 "Oh, my God," moaned Madeline.
 "Whose cat is that?" asked Lizzie.
 "Possibly a witch's," joked Skye.
 "Hey!" Madeline yelled. "Get out, cat!"
 "Cats don't speak English," said Lizzie.
 "I know, Lizzie."
 "So I guess you're gonna be needing that horseshoe, huh?" asked Skye.

No comments:

Post a Comment