Thursday, January 5, 2017

Embarrassment Town (Chapter 2)

Two days later, the girls used their free time to do something fun. So they decided to go to a laser tag place a few blocks from Madeline's condo. They bought their own gear -- which involved goggles, bulletproof vests and laser guns -- and went against each other on the playing area. The walls and surface of the area were black and gray, riddled with various-sized obstacles. The whole area flickered with green light, which came from the guns. Every time someone would shoot at another, a green light would go off on their vest. Some of the girls would pretend to die every time they got "shot".
After a half an hour of battling, the girls decided to sit down by the little tables beside the playing area and take off their gear.
Madeline sighed, flipping her blonde locks. "That's enough sweating for today," she said.
"I hope it is," said Skye. "I can smell you all the way over here."
"No, you can't."
"Should we order some food?" asked Andrea.
"Oui, je suis un peu faim."
"Speak English, girl."
"Yes, I think we should order something. I'm a little hungry."
"I'll buy us some food if you give me some money." Andrea put her hand out.
"Fine." Madeline rolled her eyes before handing Andrea a few dollars.
"Sweet." Andrea grinned.
"Mind if I come with you?" asked Debra.
"Sure, girl."
Andrea and Debra got up and walked over to the snack bar.
Madeline combed her hair with her fingers. As she did that, Skye leaned in from across the table and took a good look at Madeline. She looked up and made a face of confusion.
"What?" Madeline asked.
"Did your zit get bigger?" Skye questioned.
"Shut up."
"No, it's true," said Lizzie. "Your zit does look a little big."
"What?" Madeline took a little mirror from her pocket and looked at herself. The pimple by her nose became more inflamed. "Aw, man. You said it wasn't that noticeable."
"Well, it's noticeable now," said Skye.
"I don't understand why I'm breaking out."
Lizzie gasped. "Maybe because you have bad luck."
"No way."
"Then why else would you break out?" asked Skye.
"Maybe some products are getting old."
"You use your products every day. You have to buy new facial washes every two months because you use all of them up. There's no way your products are getting old. Face it; you have bad luck."
"If I have bad luck, then the sky is falling."
"You know what's gonna be falling?" asked Skye. "A piano right on your head."
"And Elton John's going to be playing that piano," Lizzie added.
Skye chuckled.
"Stop," Madeline demanded. "Alright? Just stop. There's no such thing as bad luck." Madeline accidentally dropped her mirror. It bounced off the floor, cracking the glass.
"Ooh," Lizzie uttered. "Now your bad luck is going to be even badder."
"No way. So what if I broke my favorite handheld mirror? That's not gonna do anything."
Soon, Andrea and Debra came back. Andrea was carrying a tray of burgers, French fries and salads while Debra carried a tray of drinks.
"We're back," sang Debra, putting the tray down on the table.
"I can't believe you used my money to get hamburgers and fries," said Madeline.
Andrea put her tray down. "Don't you see the salads, you witch?" she asked.
"She's just cranky 'cause she has bad luck," said Skye.
"I don't have bad luck," Madeline asserted.
Debra passed the drinks around. "I can't believe we're still talking about this," she said. "Bad luck does not exist." While she said that, she unknowingly knocked over the glass for Madeline, spilling the drink all over her lap. When Debra realized what she did, she gasped.
"Whoopsie," said Andrea.
"Madeline, I'm so sorry," said Debra.
"Don't be sorry," said Skye. "It's not you, it's the bad luck."
Madeline gave a shivering sigh. "I don't have bad luck," she hissed, banging on the table. "That was an accident. Everything happening is an accident."
"So you admit good things don't always happen to you?"
"Well, let's not go that far." Madeline tucked a lock of hair behind her ear. When she pulled her hand away, her fingers were webbed with numerous blonde hairs. Madeline widened her eyes at the sight.
"Are you sure?" asked Skye. "Because I would go that far."
"I'm going to the bathroom." Madeline pushed her chair back and stood up.
"Why?" asked Andrea.
"So I can clean myself up."
"You think you can get cleaner than this?"
"Do you know who I am? I think I can get myself clean." Madeline began walking away from the girls, looking for the bathroom.
The girls watched her leave and caught a large brown stain on the back of her white pants where her bottom was.
"Apparently, she can't stop herself from having diarrhea," said Skye.
Debra looked at Madeline's chair and found a blue, torn wrapper in the middle of the big, brown mess. She picked it up and showed it to the girls. "I don't think it's diarrhea," she said.
"Oh, that's where I put my candy bar," said Lizzie.

No comments:

Post a Comment