Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Cabo Wabo (Chapter 2)

After school, the girls told their parents about the Cabo resort once they saw them. Luckily, all of their parents gave them permission to go to the resort on Friday. To make sure the parents did not change their minds, Skye made her aunt Felicia, who immediately agreed to being the girls' chaperone, call the girls' parents so they can hear an adult's voice. As the adults' decisions did not change, the girls packed their bags on Thursday night. The next morning, the girls went over Skye's apartment to chill and wait for Felicia to stop by and pick them up. It took approximately forty minutes for Felicia to drive to the building with her premium SUV. She helped the girls put their suitcases in the trunk before driving them all off into the road.

After Felicia drove for ten minutes, the girls decided to sing along to the songs coming from the radio. Felicia was nice enough to let the girls to listen to a radio station of their choice. The girls danced in their seats and sang the songs that they all knew.

 
You light me up inside
Like the 4th of July
Whenever you're around
I always seem to smile
And people ask me how
Well you're the reason why
I'm dancing in the mirror and singing in the shower


"Hey, girls," started Felicia, "I don't mean to be a party pooper but can I change the station? I know some pretty cool jams we can bust a move to."

"Aunt Felicia, no one says that," said Skye.

"Says what?"

"Everything that you just said."

"I'm just saying, I like these songs, too, but come on. We're going to a resort based from Cabo; we should be getting down up in here. Know what I mean?"

"W-What?"

"I think she said we have to raise the roof," said Lizzie. "I don't speak 'old people talk' but I guess that means to dance and stuff."

"She's right," Felicia smiled. "So, girls...?"

"You can change the station," permitted Madeline. "We insist."

"We don't have to switch the station," reminded Skye.

"Skye, just let your aunt do what she wants," said Andrea. "She's driving us; the least we can do is let her listen to some music."

"Thank you, Andy," said Felicia.

"Don't call her Andy," Skye demanded.

"She can call me Andy," said Andrea.

Skye rolled her eyes and slouched a bit under her seat belt. Felicia, not taking her eyes off the road, turned the knob on the radio. She kept turning until she could tell that she stopped on her favorite station. She nodded to the song that was playing, which was "I Didn't to Turn You On", a pop song by Cherelle.

"Ah, the eighties-to-nineties station?" groaned Skye.

"The eighties and nineties were cool back then," said Felicia.

"But this station barely plays rock."

"You don't listen to rock all the time. Besides, the jams are bumpin'!"

"Who is this song by?" asked Lizzie.

"Cherelle. She was amazing in the eighties. I think you might like her."

"I think she might not," said Skye.

"Oh, give it a rest, Skye," said Madeline. "We should give this music a chance."

During the fifteen minutes that passed, everyone in the car, except for Skye, sang the songs as if they knew them very well. Of course Felicia sang the ones she knew but the girls mostly sang the choruses once they caught along with the songs.
Jump, jump!
The Mac Dad will make ya Jump Jump
The Daddy Mac will make ya Jump Jump
Kris Kross will make ya Jump Jump


Whip it
Whip it real good

If I was your girl
Oh, the things I'd do to you
I'd make you call out my name
I'd ask who it belongs to

After five songs, a heavy metal song started to play from the radio. Skye instantly knew what the song was. Enter Sandman? she thought. She sat up straight and smiled to herself.

"Oh, this one is a classic," she noted.

"I love Metallica," admitted Felicia.

"This guitar solo, though?"

"Oh, it's fantastic."

Felicia and Skye nodded to the drumbeat of the song as they hummed the long guitar solo for the introduction. The girls in the back stared at the relatives blankly with a hint of befuddlement as they did not need to be told that Skye disliked her aunt. So to see Skye actually bond with Felicia was puzzling to the girls, making them not want to sing along anymore.

"We're almost here," said Felicia, slowing down the speed of her car.

"When we stop, can we stay in the car for a while so we can sing this song?" Skye asked.

Felicia smiled from ear to ear. "Of course we can, niecey."

Once the words popped up in the song, the relatives did not hesitate to sing along to them together.

Say your prayers, little one
Don't forget, my son
To include everyone
Tuck you in, warm within
Keep you free from sin
Till the sandman comes

"She's allowed to call her that?" whispered Andrea to Debra.


No comments:

Post a Comment