Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Cabo Wabo (Chapter 1)

It was a bright and shiny afternoon and lunchtime had started for the quarter of students attending Laguna Beach High School. Madeline was the last one out of the girls to arrive at the cafeteria. She greeted them before sitting down and engaging in conversation.

"Have you heard the news?" she asked.

"What news?" Andrea asked back.

"Is it about that kid who got stuck in the well?" Lizzie informed.

"Kids are still getting stuck in wells?" questioned Skye.

"I don't know. I saw it on TV. It probably wasn't the news."

"Okay," Madeline started, "school has to be closed for a couple of days."

"Why?" asked Skye. "I felt like school just started."

"Because all of the teachers in the Orange County have to go a meeting."

"A meeting?" Debra inquired.

"Yeah, I heard it's super important. I'm still trying to figure out what it is but until Friday, a few schools have to be closed since the teachers won't be there. And our school happens to be one of them."

"Why can't they have the meeting on Saturday?" questioned Skye.

"Because it's supposed to take days. I don't really understand it but that's what's happening. The issue is supposed to be on the news later on television."

"That's amaze-balls that school is closing down this week," Lizzie opined. "Sudden vacation!"

"Well, I hate how school's closing."

"Why?" asked Andrea. "School is the kids' devil."

"We should remember that Maddie is a school freak," stated Skye.

"I'm not a school freak," said Madeline.

"Says the person who thinks the weekends should only be a day."

"What's wrong with having six days of education?"

"Everything."

"Ooh, should we do something while school is closed?" asked Debra.

"We should go to the spa," recommended Lizzie. "Or the movies. Or horseback riding."

"Girls, I have an idea that will blow your socks off," Madeline gasped.

"What is it?" asked Andrea. "Tell us."

"We should go to Cabo!"

The girls fell silent. They either stared at Madeline or made confused faces to themselves.

"Isn't Cabo in Mexico?" asked Skye.

"Isn't that where you're from, Andrea?" asked Lizzie.

"No because I'm from Puerto Rico," answered Andrea, almost angrily. "My mother is from Mexico so I'm fifty percent Mexican."

"Well, that doesn't make any sense to me."

"Guys, I'm not talking about the Cabo in Mexico," said Madeline. "I'm talking about a Cabo here."

"Is that actually true?" asked Debra.

"Yes! Remember that family vacation I had during Christmas break two years ago?"

"Yeah," responded Andrea.

"Well, my parents took me to a place called 'Fake Cabo'."

"'Fake Cabo'?" repeated Skye.

"Yeah, it's a resort with a super fancy hotel with cheap prices. There's a waterpark, a beauty salon and tall palm trees which aren't really a pro but I like them."

"I like the sound of that," said Debra.

"Me, too," Lizzie agreed.

"Fake Cabo is in Orange County but we need someone to drive us there," Madeline notified. "Who would be the perfect chaperone?"

"My aunt Felicia can take us... willingly," Skye insisted, almost hesitant.

"Oh, I love your aunt Fee!" Lizzie shared.

"Don't call her that!"

"Do you think she would be able to take us?" asked Madeline.

"Yeah," answered Skye, "she's able to do anything... willingly."

"Alright, then. Ladies, be sure to tell your parents and ask for permission because we are going to have the best time of our lives."

The girls cheered, throwing their hands in the air.

"And we will have the perfect chaperone," added Lizzie.

"Hey, I wouldn't say 'perfect'," said Skye, "but I would say 'chaperone'."

No comments:

Post a Comment