Friday, March 14, 2014

Two Heads Are Better Than One (Chapter 1)

"Hello, sisters!" Madeline greeted, walking toward the lunch table.
The girls waved and greeted together at Madeline. She sat down quickly between Lizzie and Debra who left a space on the bench for her. She laid down her pink lunch bag on the table and un-clipped it open. She sighed merrily as she took out her food.
The girls stared at Madeline, all wondering what was up with her excessive grinning.
"So... what's up, Maddie?" Andrea asked, awkwardly.
"Nothing," Madeline answered. "Why? Do I look sad?"
"No, you look happy," Skye jumped in.
Madeline scrunched her forehead but still kept her smile. "Okay. I'm happy every day."
"But not this happy," commented Lizzie.
"What's wrong with being happy?"
"Nothing," answered Andrea. "It's just that you look too happy."
"Why are you happy?" asked Skye, laying her elbow on the table and resting her chin on her hand.
Madeline giggled a bit. "Well, I met this person--"
"And they gave you money?" Andrea interrupted.
"No," Madeline squinted her eyes. "I met this person who is really nice and cool and they gave me a feeling of happiness, obviously. So that's why I'm happy today."
"Wait a minute," Lizzie stuck her index fingers up in front of her. "Does this person have the gender of male?"
"In other words," Debra jumped in, "is it a boy?"
"Maybe," Madeline rolled her eyes. "Maybe not."
"Maybe yes!" said Andrea.
"Are you in a relationship?" asked Lizzie.
"No, no," answered Madeline. "If I was in a relationship, I would tell you guys right away."
"But you won't tell us right away if you just met a guy?" Andrea asked.
"It's complicated. We just started dating. Actually, we haven't gone on our first date yet unless yesterday counted as a first date."
"What happened yesterday?" asked Debra.
"Well, I went to a coffee shop and ordered a non-fat latte. After I got my latte and sat down, he came up to me and said, 'You like that a 'latte'?'"
The girls looked at Madeline in a blank, awkward expression.
"What?" Andrea squinted her eyes.
"It was a joke," Madeline threw her hand out.
"And you thought it was funny?" Skye asked.
Madeline paused. "No. But it was cute and he was obviously shy. So I asked him to join me and we started talking. Afterwards, we exchanged numbers."
"That is so sweet," said Debra. "Nothing like love to calm a person down."
"She barely went on a date with him," said Andrea. "I wouldn't call it love yet."
"Well, is there anything else you want to tell us about this guy other than he's nice, cool, cute and shy?" asked Skye.
"Well...," Madeline started thinking. "His last name is Jepsen."
The girls paused to think.
"You want to tell us his first name?" Andrea inquired after taking a pause.
"I will tell you his first name after we settle into a relationship," Madeline replied.
"Is that what you're going to do from now on when you meet a boy?" asked Skye. "Tell us their names after you two get serious?"
"Yeah, that's crazy," Lizzie commented. "That's your decision?"
"Yeah, but I really like him and I just want to keep him on the 'down low' for a bit so I don't seem, you know, crazy," Madeline replied.
"But it's not like I'm going to go for a walk," said Andrea, "and look at every teenage guy walking down the sidewalk and go, 'Hey, are you Jepsen?'"
"Yeah, we're your friends, Maddie," said Lizzie. "You should tell us every detail."
"I know," Madeline sighed. "I'm sorry. But if he got me smiling all day like this, there is a possible chance that he could be the one. Even though I just met him. And I want to wait to express him until I feel comfortable."
"Well, I hope he is the right one for you," Debra commented. "And may you feel happiness every day."
"Thank you, Debbie," Madeline smiled.
"Yeah, same here," Andrea agreed.
Skye and Lizzie nodded in agreement.
"You guys are the best," Madeline said.
"Don't mention it," Lizzie smiled.
Andrea crossed her arms and laid them on the table. "But can you at least answer this one thing: before you and Jepsen went on your separate ways, did you say, 'I like you a 'latte''?"
All of the girls laughed to Andrea's little joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment