Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thanks for Giving (Chapter 5)

During the midst of Thanksgiving dinner, when the girls were finished with their food, they hung out in Debra's small bedroom. The parents and children spent time in the cramped living room, getting to know each other, much better than anyone would have expected. The girls sat in their own special ways on the bed.

"What is everyone thankful for?" Madeline decided to ask.

The girls clamored, half of them groaned.

"Come on! We should all be able to answer this. We're sisters."

Lizzie couldn't resist but to grin. "You're right. We're all sisters."

She held hands with Andrea who was grateful to clasp her exotic manicured hand.

"I'll go first," insisted Madeline. "I'm thankful for a big house and money."

Andrea rolled her eyes. "Of course you would say that."

"What? You think I take it for granted?"

"Not at all!"

"That's how I feel. I'm grateful that my parents are rich so I can have everything I want."

"Okay, now it's time for the poor person to speak," said Skye.

Lizzie and Madeline giggled.

"Um... I'm grateful for my band. I love to rock out and I can only do that with my band so I'm grateful for David, Sean and Kent."

"I'm not grateful for Sean," admitted Madeline. "If I'm going to be honest."

Skye scoffed. "Which you never are."

"I'm not a big liar. You guys make me look like a bigger liar than I already am."

"Then don't lie so much," said Andrea.

"You're telling me that you don't like Sean one bit?" inquired Skye.

"Of course I like Sean," Madeline confessed. "But in a friendly way... if we are friends. If he wasn't so weird, maybe I wouldn't find him repulsive."

"Good to know you have a heart. Um, I'm just grateful for rock music, man. And I'm also grateful for my crazy, pale mother."

"Aw!" Lizzie uttered.

"She really wants me to have a family which includes a dad. But basically, she is all the dad that I need."

"Your mom's a man?"

"No! I've seen her naked."

"Alright, we're done listening to you, Skye," said Andrea.

Skye reached across the bed and playfully slapped Andrea on her thigh.

Andrea chuckled. "I'm grateful for my family. I love my parents and my sisters. Without them, I am nothing so I'm grateful for them."

"If you didn't have a mother, where would you get your fighting skills?" asked Madeline.

The girls laughed.

"True, true. Also, I'm grateful for great style. Holla!"

The girls laughed again altogether.

"I'm grateful for the gardens of the world," started Debra. "I'm thankful for flowers of every color and green grass and clean water,"

"I knew you were going to say that," spilled Andrea. "'The gardens and flowers and grass--' Of course, you'd say that."

"Why wouldn't I? It's a part of me, especially the water."

"Aren't we two percent water?" asked Lizzie.

"We're ninety percent water," corrected Skye.

"Really?! That means we're liquid."

"Not quite, Liz', but  quite," said Madeline. "What are you grateful for?"

"My parents. Even though they could be a little less religious, I love them for the way they are. I'm grateful for the clothes I wear behind their backs. But importantly, I'm grateful for you guys. My besties. My best friends forever."

"Oh, I'm grateful for you, too, Lizzie," smiled Madeline.

"She said all of us," notified Andrea. "Not just you, Maddie."

"I'm thankful for all of you, too," agreed Debra. "Thank you, guys, for being there for me through thick and thin."

"Sickness and in health?" added Lizzie.

"Of course."

"Thank you, guys, for being the only friends I can get," said Skye.

Madeline jokingly threw one of Debra's pillow at Skye's face. Skye laughed and handled the pillow.

"Thank you, guys, for tolerating my bad behavior," said Andrea. "I know I'm a lot to handle."

"Thank you, guys, for accepting me for who I am which is a perfect human being," Madeline said. "I don't know who I would be without you, girls, and... just thank you for being you."

"Aw," Debra uttered before hugging Madeline.

"Gee, I don't want to cry."

"We don't want you to either," said Skye. "Your makeup will run."

The girls giggled before squeezing each other in a group huddle.

"I love you," said Madeline.

"We love you, too," Debra responded.

"Is there more pumpkin pie?" asked Andrea.

"Heh, I don't know. My dad bought a small pie."

"Dang it." Andrea released her girlfriends. "My mom probably went at it already."

"Get some turkey. I ain't eating that."

"Vegetarian!" Lizzie called playfully.

All of the girls giggled, getting tangled in their huddle, making a knot of their friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment