Monday, November 23, 2015

Thanks for Giving (Chapter 2)

Later that day, when Madeline came home, she spotted her mother looking busy in the fancy kitchen. She walked right inside and approached her look-alike mom. Her mother put down the spices which she collected.
"Hello, Madeline," she greeted. "You want to help me cook the turkey?"
"Oh, no thanks," Madeline responded. "I don't touch raw meat."
"Then how are you going to cook a turkey for your family years to come?"
"I'll hire a personal chef."
"How do you know you'll have enough money to hire a chef?"
"Because I'm going to become a successful actress."
"Good to know you're still full of ambition. I'll see if Sonya wants to help me. She just got here but like I say: once your foot's through the door, you got to mop the floor. Or something."
"Yeah, before you do, I have a suggestion."
"Ooh, I like suggestions."
"Okay." Madeline combed her fingers through her blonde, wavy hair. "Since you are indecisive on whether we should invite our far-away family, how about we invite the ones who are going to be our new family?"
Madeline's mother scoffed. "What, are you getting married?"
"No, mom. Channing Tatum hasn't divorced Jenna Dewan yet. Let me rephrase that: why don't we invite my friends' families?"
"I don't know their families."
"That's why you should invite them over: to get along with them. Get to know them, befriend them."
"Uh, I don't think there's enough room for a total of five families."
"Mom, the table in the dining room is so long, it takes thirty minutes to get to the end of it."
"Well, it doesn't seem like a bad idea. I'd hate to invite your Uncle Luc. He plays with his back hairs."
"We all know that, mother."
"But that means I have to cook more food."
"Oh, Sonya will help you. She cooks better than you do anyway."
Her mother pursed her lips and put her hands on her hips.
"But when you put love in it, it tastes so good."
"That's more like it. Do you mind running some errands?"
"Sure, I'm bored enough to do so."
"I'm going to need another turkey. While you're gone, I'm gonna find the blowtorch. It might speed up the process."
        "Don't forget to wear the face mask."
        "In this outfit?"

No comments:

Post a Comment