Monday, September 22, 2014

Volume 2: I Hate My Lab Partner/Junior Year (Chapter 1)

Madeline opened the door and entered the school. She held her cotton candy pink colored cellphone to her ear after dialing in it.
"Hello?" she said, walking the hallway. 
"I'm here," responded a girl's voice.
"If you're here, than where are you?"
"Closer than you think."
Lizzie walked over to Madeline as she came from a different hallway that waited inside for Madeline. Madeline smiled and embraced Lizzie. They put away their cellphones and walked down the hallway together.
"You're a mysterious one," Madeline said.
"Well, it was dark in there," said Lizzie. 
"You look nice."
"Thanks. It's almost school-appropriate."
"I love the blazer."
"Of course you do. You wear blazers all the time. You should be a lawyer."
Madeline giggled. "I wish."
As they passed another hallway, Andrea spotted the girls as she stood by the edge and caught up.
"Hey, wait up!" she called.
"Andrea!" Lizzie and Madeline greeted.
"You didn't see me?" Andrea walked next to Lizzie.
"No, not really," said Madeline.
"I thought I did," replied Lizzie, "but then I was like, 'No'. But when I saw you, I was like, 'Yeah'."
"You know, I'm not invisible," said Andrea.
"We know," said Madeline. "But with that butt, you'll never be."
Andrea smirked.
"I'm so excited for our first day of school," confessed Lizzie. "We're finally seniors."
"We're juniors," Madeline corrected.
"That, too! So what do you think we'll do today?"
"Depending on what classes we have today," answered Andrea. 
"Oh, I have physics, I remember. Do you think I might have to run track?"
"What?"
"Girls, girls!" yelled a female voice.
The trio turned around while slowing down and saw Debra quickly approaching them.
"Debra!" the girls responded in happiness.
Once Debra caught up with them, the girls continued to walk through the halls with Debra next to Madeline.
"You look boho as usual," commented Andrea.
"I try to," Debra responded. "A maxi dress like this deserves to be blown on a breezy day like this."
"Calming," added Lizzie.
"How did you get here?" asked Andrea to Debra.
"I walked," answered Debra. "It's a beautiful day to do so."
"But I could've driven you. I would've been happy enough to do that for you."
"I know but you know that I don't believe in cars."
"How can you not believe in cars when I saw a bunch of them in front of the school?" asked Lizzie.
"No, silly. I meant that I don't like to be in cars so much. The gas you use to fill the car comes out from the back when you drive and pollutes the air."
"Well, if millions of people are driving cars and polluting air every day," started Andrea, "then the world is not going to break anytime soon. That's like not eating toaster pastries when thousands are made to be eaten."
"I like toaster pastries," admitted Lizzie. "They're like a flat jelly donut. Fun."
"You know, I kind of agree with Debra," said Madeline. "We need air to breathe and if people are going to tear down the trees to build shopping malls, we are going to be doomed in, like, tomorrow."
"Coming from the girl who wants to 'save the world'," said Andrea.
"Hey, it seems impossible but it was never confirmed that it wasn't possible."
Suddenly, the girls changed from four to five when Skye popped from a passing hallway and glided next to Debra.
"Hola, amigas," she greeted.
"Skye!" the girls greeted back.
"Hey, Spanish is my thing," said Andrea.
"Okay," Skye responded. "What have you girls been up to?"
"We were talking about pastries and gas."
"Excuse me?"
"Oh, not that type of gas."
"It's not that important, Skye," said Madeline.
"It's a very important issue," Debra responded.
"Yeah but I have a car."
"So where are we heading?" asked Skye.
"I don't know. I guess we're just waiting for the sign that tells us to report to class in five minutes."
"It takes us five minutes to get to class?" asked Lizzie. "That's, like, thirty seconds in light years."
"Who told you that?" asked Andrea.
"I don't remember. My last science teacher?"
"We'll stick to that answer until further evidence," said Madeline.
 "So how are you and Jude?" asked Andrea to Skye.
 Skye sighed. "Me and him are fine. I mean, we're not together anymore but--"
 "What?" Andrea butt in.
 "What happened?" asked Debra. "You two were perfect together."
 "It just felt weird," replied Skye. "Jude and I were just better friends so that's what we are now."
 "So Jude is cool with that?" asked Lizzie.
 "Well, he's been sending me letters."
 "Love letters?" questioned Madeline.
 "No; regular letters. Like, 'Dear Skye, I just bought the new iPhone. Made me think of you. O.M.G. L.O.L. G.T.G. I.L.Y. X.O.X.O. Sincerely, Jude."
 "He does know you can send that in a text, right?" asked Lizzie.
 "I have no idea. I haven't replied to any of his letters but I'm thinking about sending him one."
 "Why is he even sending you letters?" Madeline asked.
 "Because he has the flu so he can't come to school."
 "Well, if you're going to break it off with him in a letter, write something like, 'I'm sorry that it has to be this way but you leave me choice. When I said it was over, it meant it was over. Though, we can still be friends.' Or something like, 'Hey, when I dumped you, I meant it, you big baby. Now deal with it!'"
 "That's a little harsh," said Debra.
 "Really? Because I just thought of worst letters than that."
"Boy, I am so psyched that we are juniors," admitted Skye.
"And seniors," Lizzie added.
Skye made a confused face. "Right. Just one more year and we will be free adults."
The girls agreed. They high-fived all of each other and made noises of individual enjoyment.
"Hey! Keep it down!" shouted a gray-haired teacher who was standing against the wall far beside the girls. His call made the girls stopped walking and cheering. "Shouldn't you all be getting to class?"
"Uh, we didn't see the sign," responded Lizzie, sticking her face towards him. She then turned to her friends while quickly pointing to the teacher with her thumb. "This guy."
"Go to class anyway!"
"Alright," replied Madeline.
The girls continued to walk down the hall together.
"Why is he so angry?" questioned Debra.
"I know," said Andrea. "That guy became redder than a tomato."
"Do you think he's been drinking tomato juice?" asked Lizzie.
The girls giggled at Lizzie's question.
"I'm serious."
"Maybe we should get to class," insisted Madeline. "We'll just catch up at lunch."
"Does anyone remember their new homerooms?" asked Skye.
"I do," answered Andrea. "I'm in Room 206, meaning it is on this floor."
"How did you know?" asked Lizzie.
"Because the rooms with a 200 number are on the second floor."
Lizzie gasped. "Spooky."
"It's really not. The other rooms-- Never mind. I should just head there before Mister Tomato Head yell at us again."
Madeline giggled. "Okay, see you later."
Andrea disassembled herself from the gang and walked towards the nearest internal hallway. The rest of the girls gave their farewells to her while waving to her. Andrea turned her head and waved back as she made her destination to her assigned homeroom class.

No comments:

Post a Comment