Thursday, September 25, 2014

I Hate My Lab Partner/Junior Year (Chapter 4)

The week after, Andrea's homeroom teacher assigned the class another experiment. Andrea, not wanting to deal with her lab partner, was sheerly infuriated but knew she just had to grin and bear it. As the students went to their assigned counters in the classroom, Andrea picked up the instructions' sheet from her counter and started to notice that Jessika was typing on her cellphone, ignoring Andrea and their scrambled experiment.
"Hey," Andrea tried to capture her attention. Jessika continued to type on her phone. "Hey." Jessika still gave no answer. Andrea then snapped her fingers in front of Jessika's face, making her look up. "Hello."
"Um, I'm texting," Jessika replied.
"Um, so? We're doing an experiment on the color change... photosynthesis thing. You know what I mean."
"I know. That's why I'm over here."
"Well, while you're over here, can you go over there and get some alcohol?"
"Aren't we too young to drink?"
"No, it's for the experiment!"
"Alright, calm  down. Why can't you get it?"
"Because I'm reading the instructions."
"Well, can I read the instructions?"
"I don't know. Can I trust you?"
"Of course you can. I know what I'm doing."
"Can you do the right thing?"
"Yes."
"Then I'll go get the extra equipment."
"By the way, I drink alcohol anyway. I don't care about laws."
"Then you can text when you drive."
Andrea walked away as Jessika glared at her. While Andrea picked up the equipment from the table across the counter, Jessika skimmed through the sheet. After only a couple seconds, Jessika looked back down into her phone and began to text. When Andrea came back, she settled the objects on the counter and gave an angry expression towards Jessika who was not paying attention to her.
"Jessika," Andrea called.
Jessika looked up. "Yeah, what's up?"
"What did I say?"
"That texting comment was hurtful."
"But-- Ugh, sorry. Now what did the sheet say?"
"Oh, it said to put the thingy with the thingy."
"'The thingy with the thingy'?"
"Yeah, and you have to put the other thingy on it."
"The thingy, huh?"
"Yeah, that's right."
"Jessika, I told you to do one thing. You couldn't do that?"
"Look, I'm helping."
"You're helping, right? Well, if you're helping, then go and get us some goggles."
"Ugh, those are not my style."
"It's not like people wear them as a fashion statement. Please go."
"Okay, since you said 'please'."
"And please, put your hair in a ponytail."
"I rather not."
Andrea chuckled scornfully. "I rather you will."
Jessika placed her phone in the pocket of her skirt. She walked off to the safety goggle cabinet while Andrea placed the flask on top of the stand over the burner on the counter. She muttered to herself about how Jessika was really annoying as she brought the graduated cylinder closer to her. Soon, Jessika came back and dropped a pair of goggles on the counter.
"You only brought one?" asked Andrea.
"Oh, I'm sorry," said Jessika. "Did you want one?"
"Yes! Actually, I need one."
"Sorry. I'll go get it."
"You do that."
Jessika rushed back to the cabinet for another pair of goggles.
Andrea dragged the bottle of alcohol closer to herself. "Idiota," she mumbled.
Jessika came back with the goggles and threw them on the counter to have them be near Andrea. She picked up the ones that she brought earlier and put them on.
"Yeah, give me the dirty ones while you have the cleaner ones," said Andrea sarcastically. "That's generous."
"Ugh, I can't see," Jessika groaned.
"You've said that the first four times we've had experiments. How many times are you going to keep saying that?"
"Until they clean the goggles."
"They do clean the goggles. They just don't clean them good."
Andrea twisted the cap of the bottled water open and poured it into the graduated cylinder slowly.
"This is so boring," commented Jessika.
"Sorry that it's boring to learn."
"Thank you."
Andrea rolled her eyes. After pouring in the desired amount of water in the cylinder, she sat down the bottle and put the cap back on. She poured the cylinder into the flask and turned the burner on to a low heating.
"Yay, we're done," said Jessika. "Let's leave."
"Hang on a second! We just got started."
"Jesus."
"Yes, you need Jesus. Okay, this sheet says, 'Pour Liquid Number One in water once it bubbles.' Liquid Number One? Fancy. I mean, not fancy, but it's cool."
"Alright, dweeb."
Andrea carried a blank expression on her face. Nevertheless, she opened the bottle that said 'Liquid Number One' from the counter and pour a half a teaspoon in the beaker. Slowly, the brown liquid made the water turn green.
"Whoa, how it do that?" Andrea's widened her eyes.
"Duh, science," Jessika said, checking her phone.
Andrea turned her head to see Jessika on her phone. "Can you please put your phone away? The teacher is going to see."
"I don't care what Bradley Cooper over there sees."
"He looks more like Orlando Bloom, you trouble maker. And in case you did not know, that's Spanish for 'trouble maker'."
"Whoa, Andrea. Don't trip on pebbles on me, okay?"
"Excuse me?"
"I am helping you and you're not letting me in."
"That doesn't make any sense."
"That's because you can hardly speak English."
"Okay." Andrea walked up to Jessika until she was an inch apart from her. "Look, even though you have done a couple of things for me, you still haven't done anything. Now you are going to help me and help me right or else, I'm going to rip out your acryllic nails and stick them into some place fierce."
"Okay, one... you need a breath mint. Two, if help is just what you want, then help I will give you."
"Really?"
"Yes."
"Good. Thank you."
"Don't mention it."
Andrea walked back to the counter. "Now, let's proceed with the experiment. So this sheet says that once the water is a solid green, we can pour Liquid Number Two in it. But when we do so, we--"
Andrea stopped talking when she saw Jessika take a strong sniff of the bottle of alcohol.
"What in the world are you doing?" Andrea asked.
"Smelling the alcohol. Duh?"
Andrea swiped the bottle from Jessika. "No more distractions, kay-kay?"
Jessika giggled. "Andrea, stop being ridiculous." She flicked her hand over the heated flask to show a 'Give-It-To-Me' sign but as she did that, two of her rings slipped from her middle finger and dropped in the flask.
"Oh!" Andrea groaned. "Dang it, Jessika! You dropped your ugly gargoyle rings in the water."
"Hey, they were of birds. Besides, it was an accident."
"Accident or not, we're going to get in trouble. Why can't you wear rings that fit?"
"They were incredibly stylish."
"No, true that, true that. But still, now what are we going to do?"
"Calm down. We can still continue. Let me just add the second liquid to the thing."
Jessika took off the cap from the bottle labeled 'Liquid Number Two' and poured almost half of the bottle into the flask.
"Wait!" shouted Andrea. "I didn't give you the certain amount!"
Suddenly, the solution in the flask started to overflow and bubble excessively.
"What's going on?" asked Jessika.
"You tell me! You added too much liquid."
"I will just get rid of this container and get a new one."
"No, you can't touch it."
Instantly, the solution shot out of the flask like a volcano and hit Andrea mostly in the face. Although, the solution made a big splash, none of it touched Jessika. The accident caught every student in the class' attention. Mister Cavanaugh hopped out of his seat from the desk when he sensed the accident.
"What's going on?" he asked.
Andrea started blinking as the once green, now blue solution dripped from her face, staining it blue. She coughed to get some of it out of her mouth. Her goggles no longer appeared on her face.
"She did it!" Jessika pointed at Andrea.
"Andrea?" the teacher tried to grab her attention.
"Hot, hot," Andrea uttered.
"Okay, it was me," Jessika admitted.
"Blue has a flavor."
"Andrea, are you alright?" asked Cavanaugh.
"My spine taste like a daffodil," her words were slurred. She then fell back and passed out on the floor.
"'Blue's Clues' if you know what I mean," said Andrea's classmate, Cory, to his lab partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment