Friday, September 26, 2014

I Hate My Lab Partner/Junior Year (Chapter 5)

The next day, Andrea's class was assigned another experiment. Tired and still having tints of blue in her curly hair, Andrea dragged her feet to her counter from her seat. When she was a foot away, Jessika stepped in front of her.
"Oh, hey," greeted Andrea.
"Hi, Andrea," Jessika greeted back. "Look, I want to apologize."
"For what?"
"You know what."
"Yeah, I do know what."
"I didn't realize how irresponsible I was being for the last two weeks."
"Well, you were being pretty irresponsible."
"I know. I just don't connect with school."
"You think?"
"No, I don't think; I know. But I've realized that my behavior might have affected you in a negative way. And I am sorry that I have been a 'threat' to your education."
"Well, I wouldn't say 'threat'. I would say... No, I would say 'threat'."
"I'm sorry."
"I forgive you. It takes a woman to admit what she has done wrong."
"And I promise that I will be more focused when it comes to school."
"That's great to hear."
"Another great thing for you to hear is that I asked Mister Cavanaugh if we could switch partners."
"Really?"
"Yeah; in case I forget to stay focused and willing to learn, I thought you should have a better lab partner. Someone who is not like me."
"Oh, Jessika, I'm going to miss you."
"Hey, if you ever need me, I will be right across the room."
"Why would I need you?"
"To mess something up."
"Oh, yeah. Good to hear but I will try to get over it. Thank you."
"Thank you. Also, I love the thing that is going on with your hair."
"I want to say thank you but it's not on purpose."
"Oh, it's not?"
"No, that's from when the experiment--"
"Oh, yeah."
"--blew up in my face and got in my hair."
"Now I remember. Gotcha."
"Yeah; I can't get it out."
"What shampoo did you use?"
"I used that Bed Head stuff. 'Tigi'."
"Oh, that crap does not work."
"Really?"
"Yes like a nest."
"What do you recommend?"
"Mmm. Maybe Neutrogena."
"Really?"
"Yeah, that's what I use."
"Oh, meirda."
"Yeah; and you look a little red."
"Yeah, I know."
"Is that from the experiment?"
"Yeah."
"Because it was hot?"
"Yeah."
"Okay."
"Yeah, I got a little bit of an allergic reaction from it as well."
"Aw, I'm sorry."
"Hey, what's done is done."
"You look good."
"Thank you. I look like a slice of bacon gone wrong. But other than that, I do look good. Thank you."
"Well, goodbye, Andrea."
"Goodbye, Jessika."
Jessika smiled at Andrea before walking away to her newly assigned counter and lab partner. Andrea smiled to herself once she got around her counter. When she looked up, she saw a red-haired, freckled-face boy approaching her.
Once he was close enough to her, Andrea greeted him. "Hola, chico. I'm Andrea; you must be my new partner."
The boy scoffed. "Well, isn't it obvious? And my name's not 'Chico', it's Randall."
Andrea scrunched her forehead. "Okay, hi, Randall."
"You already said hi to me. I know Spanish."
"Oh, eso es muy interesante."
"I don't know all Spanish! I'm not a God."
"Sorry for assuming."
"You should be sorry."
"You want me to get the aprons?"
"Do I want you to get the aprons?"
Andrea nodded. "Yeah."
"What kind of question is that? 'Do you want me to get the aprons?' The aprons are needed. Tell me that was meant to be rhetorical. Of course you're not going to tell me because you were actually serious. 'Do you want me to get the aprons?' Uh, duh! Of course I want you to get the aprons. But you can get them without asking. We need the aprons for the experiment. Geez Louise."
Andrea gave Randall a blank expression. "Oh, my God. I was just asking. I thought you would want to get them."
"Well, you thought wrong."
"Uh-huh. I'm going to get the aprons then."
"You should."
Andrea picked up the tongs from the counter and walked away from Randall. "Oh, Jessika," she sang, squeezing the tongs repeatedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment