Thursday, May 22, 2014

Somebody Likes Debra (Chapter 2)

Later in the day, after the bell rung for the next period, Debra left her last class and started walking down the hallway with one of her friends, Billy, who she happened to run into.
"I am so prepared for my English test," said Debra, waving her arm full of books.
"You're prepared?" responded Billy.
"So prepared. I feel like I'm going to pass it."
"Did you study?"
"Pretty much. I remember everything."
"Okay. Do you know who Edgar Allen Poe was?"
"Of course. He was a poet that married his teenage cousin. Right?"
"I don't know; I just heard that name today."
"I don't even think Edgar Allen Poe will be on my test. So there is no way I'll answer questions about him."
"I feel like you would pass. You're very smart."
"Not when I'm tired or wearing foggy goggles."
"Oh, then make sure you get plenty of sleep and wear clean goggles."
Debra giggled. "I'll make sure."
"But I'm serious. I guarantee you will get an A."
"Really?"
"Yeah. Like, first prediction: A. Second prediction: A."
Debra giggled again.
"But if you don't get an A, then I don't even know what I'm talking about."
"Okay."
"But I'm confident that you'll pass. If you pass, I will give you money."
"Oh, you don't have to do that."
"No, it's okay. I have a bunch of money in my piggy bank that I need to get rid of."
"There's money in your piggy bank?"
"Yeah."
"And you're trying to get rid of it?"
"Yeah, I don't use it."
Debra's face froze. "You-- You don't-- don't have to give me money," she stuttered.
"No, I want to."
"It's fine, it's fine."
"Okay, if you insist."
"Thank you."
"When is the test?"
"Tomorrow."
"Oh, then I'll probably forget."
Debra smiled.
"But I wish you good luck."
"Thanks."
"I don't know what to do with my money now."
"Well, you can donate it... or save it."
"I thought you had to be eighteen to donate."
"Silly Billy, that's not true."
"You going to lunch?"
"Oh, yeah."
"That was a guess."
"You never knew?"
"I don't go to lunch this period."
"Well, that's okay." She finally stopped by her locker.
"Well, see you, Debbie." Billy started walking past her.
"See you, Bills," she set the combination on the lock of her locker.
After putting in her combination, she opened her locker. Instantly, a folded piece of paper fell from the bottom of her locker door. Debra scrunched her eyebrows at the mysterious piece of paper. She bent over and quickly picked it up with her free hand. Unhesitant, she opened the piece of paper, which exposed a small letter written in thick, black pen. It read:

Dear love,

I am too shy to speak this to your face
So I thought it would be okay to write it down instead
I adore how you are almost always draped in lace
I can't get your purple smiles out of my head
Your eyes shine like a strip of moonlight
And it drives me crazy just looking into them
Your laughter puts me to sleep at night
I just want to buy you all the most precious gems

Sincerely,
Anonymous

Debra turned her head behind herself to see if anybody was staring at her. She looked back to the letter; her face frozen with confusion.
"Alright, who's messing with me?" she said loudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment