Monday, May 12, 2014

Going Au Naturel (Chapter 3)

The weekend came and the girls' bet had already started. Once they woke up, they instantly remembered what they had to do. In the morning, they made sure that they had no makeup on, no hair extensions or anything that involved beauty and putting it on.
Later that Saturday, Madeline called her friends and invited them over just to hang out. All of the girls agreed and after Madeline put her signature, preppy clothes on, Lizzie was the first to arrive.
Madeline opened her door as she heard the doorbell ring. "Hey, Doll," she greeted.
"Hey, Maddie," Lizzie greeted back, angling her cellphone at her as she was taping a video before arriving.
They stared at each other for a while.
"Wow," Lizzie giggled. "I haven't seen you without makeup for a long time."
"Same to you. Well, come on in."
Lizzie walked into the house as Madeline closed the door behind her. They both walked upstairs to the bedroom.
"When did you get up?" asked Lizzie.
"Eight O'clock, so I've been makeup free for five hours."
"Oh. Four hours. Woke up at nine."
"Ugh, you're always waking up so late."
Lizzie giggled. "But you look good without makeup on."
"Thanks. So do you."
"Thank you. I feel so free."
"Me, too."
They both nodded as they entered Madeline's bedroom. A second after, the doorbell rang again.
"Ugh," groaned Madeline, "we just walked upstairs. But it's okay; it's probably Andrea."
"What if it's Debra? Or Skye?"
"Does it really matter, Liz'?"
Madeline exited the bedroom into the hallway to go downstairs to the door. She unlocked the door and opened it to Andrea.
"Hola, Maddie," Andrea greeted, pointing her cellphone at Madeline.
"Hi, Andy," Madeline said. She looked at Andrea up and down, noticing how pasty her skin was. "You're pale," she continued.
"Yeah, I'm not wearing bronzer," said Andrea.
"Oh, I see. Well, come on in."
Madeline closed the door after Andrea stepped in. They both walked together upstairs.
"I really want to win that bet," said Andrea. "A year of no Cow Belles? That's dreamland."
"I know! We are not buying them shoes and that is a promise."
"Actually, me and Lizzie were thinking about just you buying them the shoes."
"Andrea, I am not rich; my parents are rich."
"Okay, keep saying that to yourself."
"You know, it is not hard to go without makeup and a hairdo. This bet is going to be easy as pie."
"Easy-peezy, lemon-squeezy pie."
"Never say that again, okay?"
"Hey, Mads," said Lizzie from a pink wooden chair as the girls entered the bedroom, "I just noticed that you have a camera with a tripod." She pointed towards a video camera stand in the corner of the room by the pink-sheeted bed.
"You're just noticing that?" Madeline inquired.
"That camera's on?" asked Andrea.
"Yep. I had this camera forever and the Belles said that to record ourselves so why not use it?"
"This thing hasn't recorded you undressing or anything, right?"
"Oh, God, no. I did that against the wall behind the camera so it wouldn't see me."
"Oh, that's smart," commented Lizzie.
Madeline smiled and walked toward her closet to open it.
"Maddie has to be lying," whispered Lizzie to Andrea. "We got to watch that camera."
Andrea nodded.
Suddenly, the doorbell rang.
"And boom goes the dynamite," said Madeline.
"I'll get it," said Andrea.
"Thank you, Andrea."
Andrea walked out of the bedroom, heading to the door downstairs.
"What are you looking for?" asked Lizzie.
Madeline pulled out a big, plastic, rectangular bag with a makeup products and supplies inside. "My beauty kit."
"Your emergency beauty kit?"
"No, it's my regular one. But I do think of beauty as an emergency. Like what if a cute guy wants to talk to me?"
"Well, I know you're not going to bring that with you."
Madeline chuckled. "Of course. I don't need it." She then faced the camera on the tripod. "You hear that, Pam and Maury? I don't need it!"
"Ha-ha. Pam and Maury. That's funny."
Madeline threw her beauty bag into the closet.
Seconds afterward, Andrea, Debra and Skye entered the bedroom with their fresh faces.
"Hey, girls," greeted Madeline.
"Hey," Debra and Skye greeted back.
"Maddie, is that white girl really Andrea?" Debra asked.
"Yes, she surprisingly is," answered Madeline.
"Oh, sorry, Andrea."
"Whatever, Debbie," said Andrea with crossed arms.
"I forgot your hair is brown," said Lizzie to Debra.
"Yeah, I dyed it red every day," responded Debra. "But since we can't dye our hair for the bet, I guess I got to live with this. For a week. Yay."
"Sweet camera," Skye commented, looking at Madeline's video camera.
"Thanks," said Madeline. "I got it two years ago. Thought it would be perfect for our bet."
"Cool."
"What would be cool is to decrease the time of the bet," admitted Andrea. "I feel so nude."
"Come on, Andy," said Lizzie. "This bet just started and you can't give up now."
"She's right, Andy," said Madeline. "Lizzie got some terrible circles on her eyes and you don't see her complaining."
"Yeah. What?"
"They're not that bad, Liz'."
"You said 'terrible'. That's more than bad. Or is it the same?"
"You got circles on your eyes, too, Maddie," said Andrea.
"I know," Madeline responded, "and they are going to stay there forever. But that is who we are. And we can be ourselves which makes this bet so easy."
"Yeah, I totally agree," said Skye. "My pink streak is gone but do you hear me crying and whining? No because this is what my hair looks like. Although I do miss it. Just a teeny bit. I called it Tabitha-- "
"Skye--"
"But I don't care."
"As long as none of us caves, we got this in the bag. We're going to get through this and get through it together."
All of the girls agreed energetically. Then their cheers simmered down into confused, awkward looks by just one minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment