Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Somebody Likes Debra (Chapter 1)

On a Tuesday morning, Debra was preparing for a class experiment with a group of classmates along with several other groups of classmates in chemistry class. She tied on her cloudy, red apron before putting on her safety goggles. She then glanced upon an Asian boy, with purple streaks in his short, black hair, walking while carrying a tray of beakers and containers.
"Too heavy for you?" Debra joked.
The boy placed the tray on the laboratory table. "Very funny," he chuckled.
"I try."
"Do you understand what we're doing?"
"Yeah, we're putting the thing in the thing with the thing."
"That's very clear."
Debra giggled. "Let me read the instructions."
She picked up a pink piece of paper from the table before being approached by a fair-haired girl with bright pink lipstick.
"Debra," the girl called.
"Oh, what's up, Sally?" she looked up.
"Darrell is throwing a party on Friday night," the girl replied. "Are you coming?"
"Uh, I don't know. I don't know where he lives."
"Oh, it's that red house."
"There are a bunch of red houses."
"Yeah, but it's that red house where all of the lights are always on."
"Oh, yeah, that red house."
"So you think you can come?"
"We'll see."
"'We'll see' means yes." Sally turned around and shouted, "Darrell, Debra is going to your party!"
"That's awesome, Debbie!" said a blond, tall boy.
"I said I would see," Debra responded.
"See my house? It's the one with the lights."
"Yeah, I know. I meant I might come."
"'Might' means yes."
Debra turned, facing her other male friend. "What doesn't mean 'yes'?"
"'No! Stop! I got mace!'" replied her friend.
Debra giggled. "That's a little too over-the-top, Kyle."
Kyle slowly poured a beaker of water into a test tube. "What does Step 4 say on the paper?"
Debra looked through the pink paper, searching for Step 4. "It says, 'Add three drops of 'brother blue'."
"What?"
"'Brother-myth-theel blue'."
"Bromothymol blue?"
"I know how to read."
"Then why didn't you say it right?"
"Hey, Debbie," called a brunet boy, standing behind the table behind Debra and Kyle.
Debra turned around instantly.
"What does Step 7 mean?" the boy asked.
Debra looked at her paper. "Well, Step 7 is saying you write down what you see. What do you see?"
"I see glass cups, I see containers, I see--"
"No, Billy. What do you see when you mix the sodium hydroxide with the 'promo-menthol' blue?"
"Bromothymol blue," Kyle corrected.
"I'm not a miracle worker."
"Oh, I see that the water turned into a purple color," said Billy.
"There you go. Write it on your chart."
"Thanks, Debbie."
"No problem." She turned around, gazing at her and Kyle's progress in the experiment.
"You're always helping people," said Kyle.
"Am not."
"Are to."
"R2-D2."
"I think you're too nice."
"Too nice? Sweetie, I can be as mean as a bee if I wanted to."
"But you're not."
"I know. I guess I'm too chill."
"Yeah, too chill."
"Hey, chill is good. See this necklace?" She lifted up the loose, yarn-crafted ornament around her neck.
"Make it in kindergarten?"
"Screw you. It's a dream catcher. I wear it to sleep and get nothing but sweet dreams."
"Are you one of those people who believe in superstitions and luck?"
"Don't assume! But yes, I am one of those people."
"You know, there's no such thing as good or bad luck. So your necklace is practically a hack."
"Hey, this necklace works. I've been having good dreams ever since I put this on."
"So you had nightmares every night you slept?"
"No. But I don't anymore and it's all thanks to this baby. It's one of the reasons why I'm so chill."
"Yeah, right."
"Plus, my grandmother made this for me before she passed away a while ago."
"Whoa, I'm sorry about it."
"Just kidding! My grandmother's not dead; she's healthy. Made you sympathetic. Ha! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say it like that. I'm sorry."
"No, it's okay. Well played. For, like, a second."
"The best second of my life."
Kyle chuckled.
"I just realized something."
"What?"
"I can barely read this paper. It's because of these dirty glasses."
"You mean goggles?"
"Stop talking to me like I'm a fifth grader."

No comments:

Post a Comment